PSA: Check your suspension settings after a service

First we had a “check your stem bolts”

Then we had a “check your thru-axles”

Now we have a “check your suspension settings” and I’m the latest to wear the dunce cap.

I raced for the entire first half of the season with the wrong settings :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

When I got my suspension serviced earlier in the year, they had reset a few different things that I neglected to check, so I just kept adjusting rebound and air pressure.

Turns out that I was running almost 40psi less than what is recommended and because the low-speed compression was dialed all the way up in “Open”, I didn’t realize until today. So instead of 30% sag, I was running more like 50%.

The bike felt dead and I couldn’t figure out why :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing the mistakes. Those hurt the most, but teach the best sometimes.

Nice if we can save ourselves from your misery. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will add, a proper shop would record the pressure and damper settings prior to service, and at least try to return them close to those settings afterwards. But it’s easy to forget as well.

not to pile it on too much, but that is why my settings are written down. I’ve never had my shock/fork returned with the same PSI as when I dropped it off. Although looking at my file now I don’t have my rebound clicks listed like I used to have for my brain. So i’ll need to try and get that done. Double checking the suspension settings is part of the spring cleaning like changing out the Stans or other sealant in your tires.

Totally agree with this, as a 20 plus year shop veteran, shock and fork settings are always recorded before the fork or shock is serviced. Sag and appropriate rebounds settings should always be checked upon customer collection as well.

1 Like