Proving muscle memory

2 years ago, I got a hip injury while playing hockey. This hip injury required a surgery, but the timing was really bad because it happenned few days before the lockdown here in Canada.

Long story short, I had to wait a 1 year and half to get my surgery that happenned in September this year. During that time I simply could not train at all. For a cyclist that was used to train and compete 10-15 hours a week, it was tough, but hey, that’s life…

Anyway, now I am easing my way back on the bike 2 months post surgery and I am coming back on this forum that I used to read everyday. I tough it could be a great opportunity to see how long it takes me to get back to my previous fitness level. It think it might motivate other people that may face a similar situation.

2 years ago, when I was competing at my best I had a FTP of 300w and I weighted 57,6kg (5,21w/kg)

I have started to put some power 2 weeks ago on 30-45 min workouts (can’t increase the duration yet, my hip is not lubrificated enough) and I estimate my ftp at 215w. I was quite surprised since I did not do any sport for a year and half and I currently weight 65 kg (3,31w/kg).

Currently I am doing 4 x 45 minutes sessions a week plus 3 lower body workouts at the gym recommended by my doctor/physio. Last week of December I plan on starting a mid volume sweet spot base.

Each week I’ll try to log where I am at. In the meantime I’ll hope that the muscle memory concept is true :joy:

4 Likes

Would love to hear where you’re at now in your journey!