Progression Levels now in Strava Images

I like it, wouldbe even cooler if you could put your own background image in it instead of the blacked out cyclist.

Maybe memes or something like that

1 Like

I follow, am followed by, my competition and this just showed up in his Strava feed:

Yeah, Iā€™m not displaying that information.

8 Likes

Please donā€™t encourage people to post their Wordle on Strava :grin:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the point!

ā€œOh man, I know that so-and-so is weak on the climb. My window of opportunity is 1 mile up the roadā€

or

ā€œMeh, I donā€™t care that whose-her-name is heading toward that sprint ā€“ I know sheā€™s been dogging it from Strava, so Iā€™ll hold her wheel for a few more moments and easily blast by herā€

3 Likes

I donā€™t mean this as an argument, Iā€™m more curious what you think since it looks like a lot of folks agree with you. All I see from that is that you are doing pyramidal training during base season. What do you think the competitor sees from it?

1 Like

uhhh excuse me but i thought memes were only supposed to go in the meme zone.

2 Likes

Can I feature request to give false information as well? Keepā€™em guessing?

9 Likes

I was disappointed yesterday because this was announced just after I finished my workout. Almost inspired me to do 2-a-day, but I resisted.
I just did todayā€™s workout. I LOVE it!
Maybe a small thing but it looks great. Thanks for this.

Now, nothing. Leading into a race it could show your weaknesses and/or which races youā€™re prioritizing. If I see no efforts above Threshold (low PLs) then I know a few VO2 efforts will smoke said competitor.

1 Like

It strange, when I saw it on someone elseā€™s workout I liked it. But then I saw it on mine and I didnt. Itā€™s already starting to grow on me thoughā€¦. I could see how some high level folks may want to keep it to themselves, I do think a switch should be included. Iā€™ll be keeping it on.:biking_man::metal::+1:

2 Likes

I really donā€™t know how I feel about it. I like the look of it for sure. But it might suck seeing all your PLs get set back to 1 after you kick butt on a ramp test.

2 Likes

Last year people were pretty keen to be able to track how their progression levels have changed over time- this might not be the optimum solution for that but it certainly provides one way to do it

Itā€™s been mentioned as a tracking hack. I get it, but if TR wants to add that as a justification for a feature, it really belongs in the TR universe first.

2 Likes

I think you may be reading a bit much into this. Progression levels only reflect training, not ability, and not power curve

10 Likes

This meme pretty much represents every change TR makes, doesnā€™t matter what it is. I actually feel bad for Nate and the TR team. I can only imagine the cursing, drinking or throwing stuff around after reading the forums.

3 Likes

This makes cyclists faster by advertising a feature to non subscribersā€¦ Therefore causing some of them to sign up which makes themā€¦FASTER :yum:

2 Likes

Great marketing idea!

1 Like

If you guys donā€™t want your competitors to analyze your rides and figure out your FTP, then you shouldnā€™t allow them to follow you or have your rides public. If they use the Sauce plug-in with Strava they will get a ton of info including a predicted ftp.

Iā€™m sure competitors could also download all of oneā€™s public rides and then analyze them with more advanced tools.

8 Likes

Iā€™m not a fan.

Think it will lead to people artificially filling out their progression levels to look better on strava. Most comments I see on Strava are along the lines of ā€œyou need to work on your sprintsā€ etc.

Obviously people who use TR realise that the levels are not a measure of your performance like a power curve is but most people assume they are the same.

I think it would be better if the info was more limited, maybe:

The difficulty of the workout (achievable, productive, stretch etc)
the level of the workout and the change in that particular level due to the workout?

3 Likes

Off switch is in Strava by the way if you donā€™t like itā€¦

https://www.strava.com/settings/partner_integrations

edit: Iā€™m pretty sure this just turns off extra graphics - the data will still be there :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit edit: this is no longer required now that TR have added controls within TR to select which image you want or non at all - great work @Nate_Pearson and team :+1:

5 Likes