Progression Levels now in Strava Images

I had the opposite happen to me. No image uploaded to Strava following my TR workout.

Love the new image, It looks great

Same here for my last two rides, via the windows app. Image sync appears broken for me. Though I have had it happen on and off in the past, two-in-a-row is pretty rare.

I really like it. I was just walking a friend who primarily uses Peloton through TR and progression levels when he asked about seeing TR workouts in Strava. The next day this popped up in my feed. Perfect timing for reinforcing the discussion we had. The graphs are generally utilitarian which is great for during the workout, but this adds a nice touch of refinement that lines up with the quality of the overall platform and the effort the TR puts into it.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of showing off my progression levels in strava. It’s a little embarrassing because I always feel my levels are too low. That said, the level system works great, but I would appreciate not having to delete the image on every strava upload. Does anyone know how to opt out of posting levels? Thanks!

1 Like

The solution is in nates post above.

@Mbraley

1 Like

Glad to see I’m not the only one who isn’t a fan of the progression levels showing. Will definitely turn it off as soon as the option is available.

Happened to me on January 23:

the option was released yesterday (see Nate’s post above)

Fantastic! Thanks for letting me know, I missed that post entirely. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It is easy…Don’t join Strava

So here is an idea seeing that there are so many who hate the Progression level chart automatically popping up on Strava. Turn it off! If people want to show it then let them turn it/toggle it on. Yes the repsonse from Nate and support has been great but the issue of having it automatically appear still remains. Sharing your customers progress information without asking ahead of time was and still is a poor move.

2 Likes

You’re behind the times. We now have the option to show PL’s or not show PL’s whilst still showing the graph.

I think they are arguing that it should be off as default and only toggled on if the user wants it. Its relative to your FTP though which isn’t actually shown (just a line with no watts). AFAIC PL’s don’t tell you anything without that. Your PL’s could be 15 in Threshold etc relative to an FTP of 100w or a PL of 2 relative to an FTP of 400w. One person could look at the first persons PL of 15 and think wow and be intimidated etc, but the second rider with a 2 could actually be stronger and the one they want to look out for. I am with Catherine Tate on this one :roll_eyes:
https://images.app.goo.gl/vfTB6tn4TfMG2xBX9

2 Likes

Images sent by apps to Strava have one and only one objective: marketing the app to other Strava users. No user is obligated to upload data to Strava, and now no user is obligated to upload images either. I’m not sure why a user who takes the time to connect his Strava and TR accounts would by default be worried about the data Strava shows of his TR workouts.

There’s a whole thread on Zwift forum talking about “I can’t prevent Zwift from sending an image to Strava”, by the way. Strava allows “partner integrations” to be disabled for each connected app - this misnomer actually refers to image uploads.

2 Likes
  • I get where you are going with the latter part of your comment, but for the record, Progression Levels only run from 1.0 to 10.0. Just mentioning it since your example is not possible in the way it’s written right now.
  • Yes, this is the key point. Typically speaking, when looking at information of a personal nature like this, the default is often set to “Off”, and the user has to turn it “On”. That is the “Opt In” approach, vs the “Opt Out”.

• I agree that this should probably default to the "Off " (unchecked) setting. It relates to possible workflow.

• New users (or existing ones without Strava sync active) will have to access the Sync page, and then be presented the options. This kind of doesn’t matter for the check box option default, since the user is clearly able to see the choices and adjust.

• Existing users essentially have no idea of the change (since the only notification was this post or people recognizing the change TR forced upon them, to share the new PL info). In that case, having the pics default to “On” is a mistake in my eyes, because it puts in place the “Opt Out” scenario.

4 Likes

Exactly :+1: I choose to connect my TR account to my Strava and don’t mind the Marketing and can understand the need for it. If I didn’t like it I wouldn’t have connected it in the first place or made them private only. A bit OT I actually set all my rides to upload as private initially as I often record the same ride on my Garmin/ RGT and TR and to have all three appear at once to my friends is a bit overwhelming IMO :joy:

1 Like

Considering the user is in the process of connecting a training app to a social media, one has to assume that said user realizes his private information is going to be broadcast to a wider audience, depending on the settings in the social media app. The warnings and authorizations that pop up are quite precise about this. Thus as far as I can tell all training apps default to partner integration being activated.

• Yeah, but that is only one workflow. See what I already wrote in the same post you quoted, but left out here:

The second case, “Existing user”, is very different from what you mention and I explicitly cover for the “New user” section. The second case is totally done behind the scenes, even though a switch is now present, because they default to ON and don’t notify the user about the change.

As of now, the only “official” notification is this forum topic. That is not sufficient notification for the great many users who never come here. I have not seen an email or other notification outside of this, or the ultimate moment when people see the change in their Strava posting. So it’s a backwards order IMO.

And even if people authorize the prior graphic and what is a fairly ambiguous image, the PL info is “new” and a greater picture of the user’s training state. I see that as enough of a reason to expect notification and a “reauthorization” of the new info to be shared.

5 Likes

I think the feature is nice. There are lots of paths available to avoid sharing the data if you prefer not to. For those with strong feelings about it being an opt-in or opt-out option, I get the principle behind the discussion, but I don’t understand why anyone would burn the mental energy to care about it. Doesn’t make those people wrong, I just don’t understand it.

As far as the advertising angle, I’m happy to give TR a little free exposure if it helps them out. It costs me nothing and theoretically could help me in the end by driving more subscriptions resulting in more features for all. While nobody is a fan of intrusive advertising on social media, I don’t think this falls into that category. If it’s a company I believe in and I’m proud to be associated with, I’m all for giving a little public love. It’s not like TR is a car dealer sticking their logo on the back of the car you just bought or putting those cheesy branded license plate frames on.

For anyone debating whether there is strava stalking happening in amateur bike racing , it’s certainly a real thing around here. Not just Strava, but there are lots of sources, including tools that predict the contenders for a given race based on the registration list. I can’t speak for the national scene, but for any given regional race around here (TX), there are maybe 5 (10 at the most) people consistently competing for the podium in a given age group and/or category. I’m not spending 5 hours researching every nuance of their current training, but I’ll certainly take a look on strava or road-results.com to see what they are up to heading into a race. It’s not going to fundamentally change my race approach, but could play into who to mark on a given day. You could debate whether showing TR PL’s makes stalking easier or more effective, but I disagree with the folks saying this is a pointless activity in amateur bike racing. There are entire web sites pretty much focused on stalking your competitors like https://www.road-results.com/