Pro/Elite training

Good article about the preparations for the Giro of three top riders with VO2max around 80.

2 Likes

Just had an interesting discussion with a mate I haven’t seen for years and years which really reinforced the “them and us” differentiation when it comes to elite training and elite genetics.

He’s same age and stage of life (young kids etc etc) and does similar hours training, yet our FTP’s are nearly 100W apart.

It was interesting talking and looking at his training though. It ends up being that his hard days are way more stimulus (Watts), but his easy days are much less. Not surprising as he has always been an elite aerobic athlete, and I’ve always been someone that trained too much, but I found one of the biggest takeaways was how comfortable with going easy he was due to how much more he output when going hard.

1 Like

Gotta let go of the ego (no, not the Eggo :smile:)on easy days and go easy. Forget about how slow you’re going or how low the wattage is. You want easy aerobic on easy days. It makes it mentally and physically easier to go hard on hard days!

2 Likes

You’ll improve with this approach too. Elite or not.

2 Likes

“Elites always keep one interval in the tank, always ensure that they don’t push too hard during an interval session” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Meanwhile in the office …

15 Likes

Watched that episode last night, and I thought the same thing!!! My daughter was watch with me and couldn’t believe he was still too tired from doing the Giro in May.

1 Like

Twitter :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yesterday:

grafik

grafik
grafik

Today:

Just has to train according to Seiler and France will have a TdF winner :+1:

7 Likes

If he does and wins the tdf you will look very silly :)))

Speaking of, his Strava is public and has power - but has privacy zone for the last couple of km, including his winning attack :smiling_face_with_tear: Would love to see that effort! :boom:

You can see it using the power curve for the activity. He averaged 650 watts for 70 seconds.

1 Like

I don’t have a subscription so I can’t see the curve - but thanks. Huge effort all things considered!!

2 Likes

At least give credit to Seiler’s Twitter account….

That study dropped on multiple platforms last week, at least I saw it elsewhere. Had no idea Seiler tweeted it as well

1 Like

I don’t follow Seiler. I got this from the twitter feed of one of the other authors.

Do you have any other problems I can help you with?

7 Likes

Given that you asked, if you could restrain from the spiteful remarks….

It stopped being funny long time ago.

Jack Haig in Stage 13 Cycling Podcast

"I have a new theory why coaching/training doesn’t work. By the time you get to the 10 men long list for the TdF, in any team you’re such a genetic freak at that point. that as long as you do the basic things right, traing hard now and then, resting hard now and then, all the finer details the way coaching is done in professional cycling at the moment, I don’t think the coaching makes the difference. It’s the genetics. Tadej or Jonas, you think they’re better because of their coaches or because they are genetic freaks? After this weird season for me, it does not really matter what I do, I’m more or less at my level "

13 Likes

Maybe if genetics is such an all-dominant factor in sport, someone could do a genetics study to work out what the super genes are.

A.k.a., all roads lead to Rome (Tokyo).

Well, there was the Heritage Family Project, and now MOTRPAC touches upon the same question:

https://www.motrpac.org/

1 Like