Privacy Concerns

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän

1 Like

In this particular thread, getting OT is probably a good thing.

1 Like

Ok,so lets have a “Germans have a word for it” contest:

Datenschutzgrundverordnungsimplementierungsdiskussion

(I won)

1 Like

This discussion is futile without a Datenschutzbeauftragten

Grundstücksverkehrsgenehmigungszuständigkeitsübertragungsverordnung

1 Like

The account images posted are (were?) public. Both TR and Strava. If posting those has made you realize what happens when you leave your status to public in a data-gathering app, I do believe it was worth it. So far, you appear to have learned the importance of reading TOS before accepting them, and the importance of public/private status setting vs data privacy. All has not been lost.

You may also have seen a few suggestions in how to use TR without sharing your data - you can also add the idea of turning your network access off when you start a workout, and deleting or moving the .fit file generated before connecting again. This is a lot easier on a Win10/Mac platform. This way, you can prevent TR from getting your data, while still gathering the .fit files yourself. You lose the analytics of TR, but you could compensate by using, for example, an old license of the desktop version of SportTracks, which can be set to keep all data local on a Win10 PC.

There are many solutions to issues like the one you raise. User forums can help you find them, if you use them appropriately.

5 Likes

Not bad, but in a “OT-Germans have a word for it contest” this is OT… please stick to Datenschutz at least :wink:

Correct. Stupid, ignorant, amongst other things. You clicked OK, no one’s fault but your own if you didn’t read it.

1 Like

I’m happy to give my professional view - which are not dependant on TR’s T&Cs - on your concerns if they aren’t covered here:

Datenschutzgrundverordnungsimplementierungsdiskussionsleiter

3 Likes

Cheap copy but ok :slight_smile:

Datenschutzgrundverordnungsimplementierungsdiskussionsleitertagung

1 Like

To be clear, you signed up for a training platform that needs your training data in order to actually train you, however you don’t want to give them your training data? How do you propose they actually train you? The AI will not be smart enough for you, sir.

3 Likes

Can I bring in some Swiss German? We win for odd words!!

If you think long German words are funny you might like that one. This Swiss politician loses it while reading out legal text on customs regulations. Ditto for @d_diston .

4 Likes

Bündnerfleisch…hungry now!!!

For our ‚rest of world‘ fellows. Bündnerfleisch is a kind of several month old Swiss Burger patty.

Perhaps taking a step back would be worthwhile doing. How do you use the internet and what devices do you use? What’s your expectation.

For what it’s worth, whether it’s iOS, Android, Windows or Mac either system will track you and collect data on you. Whatever you do on the internet, you can be sure it will be tracked and recorded. Whatever service (TR, Strava, …) you use, you will be tracked and recorded. Some companies, like Facebook, will even track and create a profile on you while you are not customer of them.

So yeah, with TR you are likely barking up the wrong tree. They seem to be quite sensible about how they use your data.

If you don’t agree with that, there is a way out: Get a bike computer that works offline and with out an account. Ditto for a turbo. Buy a training plan online but without disclosing any personal information (gift card?) using a VPN. Do the workouts as prescribed and track your progress on a Linux computer with software like Golden Cheetah. Also store your workout files on that device.

It likely will be less convenient plus less engaging. Though that’s the price we have to pay for keeping our data to ourselves.

1 Like

You make it sound so nice… :wink:

Whilst I don’t the posting style of the OP, privacy is a legitimate concern and it’s not a simple subject, so I think it’s worth repeating:

“Be excellent to each other”

4 Likes

Hopefully that also applies to the OP regarding the threatening toned DM I just received

1 Like