Privacy Concerns

Wow… this is really strange stuff. Seriously?

1 Like

Having read some of the concerning comments I felt it was best to seek out the OP and ensure they did not have access to my info, so I blocked them on Strava proactively. Then got a DM questioning who I am and “if we have a problem”

I have to say overall it’s a bit of a bummer. In general, privacy is a legit concern (not just TR but all the cycling related devices/services we use) and a constructive thread on the topic would actually be quite welcome.
Instead we have this thread :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

I mean this in the nicest way possible: I don’t care about you or your family, I care about my privacy, and when someone makes looney statements saying I threatened them when I tried to secure my own profile on TR and Strava, the best thing to do is make sure that person does not have access to any of my information for any unwarranted retaliation.

3 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 23 hours.

(see what I did there? :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

5 Likes

I’m so excited this is back up

4 Likes

quote="NO ONE EVER
I’m so excited this is back up

See what I did there?

:skull:

2 Likes

Thank you. “I want to use tr but don’t want it to remember anything I’ve done” is crazy talk.

Edit: Retracting original message in consideration of Chad’s reminder below as to not contribute to this thread going on any longer :slight_smile:

Moderator Note:

• If this discussion is meant to continue, keep the forum guidelines in mind and post appropriately.

• There is absolutely NO need for this to head downward if everyone keeps respect in mind and posts with the aim of making positive contributions to the discussion.

Thanks for your time.

8 Likes

Privacy is very important.
But privacy starts with you.

YOU are responsible for knowing where you put your data.
YOU are responsible for knowing what companies do with the data.
YOU are responsible for locking down the data from people you dont want to see it.

Accusing a company of not protecting privacy while having all public that ANYONE with an account can read from is not good form.
Accusing a company of not protecting privacy and not reading TOS is also not good form.

9 Likes

as I mentioned above a couple of times privacy matters and concerns about it make sense.

i do not see issues here with TR, but for example the connection to Strava, so the need to transfer outdoor workouts back to TR via Strava is annoying. I dont need such additional platforms, I dont use their offers, I just use Strava as a mean to connect my workouts back to TR, would happily like to get rid of my Strava account.

Yes, it is my choice to go via Strava, and yes, I did that some time manually via fit file, but i would naturally prefer this being taken care off automatically without Strava or other external plattforms.

One other example: I have no clue what the Wahoo cloud does with my personal data. No concern for TR, but still an example how with having a Wahoo device I cant evade their cloud service. maybe I will make a device change.

now for some this might seem exagerated to some here, but privacy has to be held up otherwise we will not have any borders of what is allowed and what not anymore

as said, TR seems to be rather fine in terms of privacy protection. cheers for that!

(sorry Chad, was not meant to be a reply to you :))

No, I think you are mistaken. For example this agreement for Word https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Office/2019Word/Useterms_Retail_Office_2019Word_English.htm only appears to do the following with respect to intellectual property (IP) rights:

• restrict the number of computers you can install and use Microsoft’s IP (the Word application)
  • agree to share data required by some features (typically ‘smart features’ or features that learn) and that you can disable most of those features
  • agree that if you provide feedback on new products or improvements, you assign rights to Microsoft to implement those new products/features without charge

It appears to be a simple EULA for a tool. If you can point out where Microsoft claims otherwise I’d be very interested in reading the agreement.

5 Likes

Unbelievable what a discussion can be caused if somebody does not read what is he/she agreed with.

I am guilty of ticking agree on somethings, rather than reading fully to the end but I am under no pretence that I am not signing my privacy away. A question for me is am I giving any information I dont want to disclose. If I have any sort of concerns the EULA is a must read and if it reinforces my concerns its not ticked. Disclosing the info that I am an unfit 46 year old, etc doesn’t really concern me though :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps a bit off-topic but I guess there is still room for improvement. It would be nice to not be tracked when using the web interface.

@Nate_Pearson I know you got a lot on your plate and also bigger fish to fry though I guess it could be another step forward for you guys…

3 Likes

The website and forum do not work properly with adblockers.

They do on iOS with AdBlock Pro.

1 Like