Piuma is a marquis climb in the Santa Monica mountains

28 Likes

Wow, Gaimon has some competition.

2 Likes

Is that the San Dimas ITT section?

No, this one is in Malibu.

The San Dimas ITT is on Glendora Mountain road

1 Like

Seen that today. Amazing effort not to mention these Skydio 2 drones are sweet.

3 Likes

Watched this today and was absolutely blown away.

It was world tour level pace and Hollywood cinematography.

70kg and an FTP of 390 Watts :exploding_head:

5 Likes

It’s Phil taking a break? Looks like those Eversting attempt fails were too much.

1 Like

He put a new video up, but the tl;dr is that he is taking some time off, he’s a little overworked and not recovering well.

2 Likes

Wonder what is Whoop says about that.

Good for him, sometimes you just gotta know when to pack it in for bit.

Wonder what is Whoop says about that.

lulz, I’m not a Whoop believer so no argument here. I agree, good for him, sometimes you know when you’re worn down and due for a break.

2 Likes

Man these videos make me hate where i live. Mostly flat… and so-so scenery

1 Like

Yes the riding is dreadful here. BTW most riders will get to the base of the climb in the video with a 15 minute or so ride up from Pacific Coast Highway. Here’s a Skydio2 video of what it’s like to ride there (albeit with far fewer watts than the KOM video).

8 Likes

Where’s all the cars? I rode my bike up PCH from West LA once and the constant stream of cars whizzing by freaked me out.

1 Like

Riding from the Oxnard side usually has less cars, which is where @refthimos is in the video

Riding out from Santa Monica is a teeming cluster of impatient distracted cagers the likes of which you will not find anywhere else in the world, especially on the weekend.

That being said, when you get off of PCH and onto any of the main climbs, it is some of the most amazing riding in North America

1 Like

Nice ride. And nice soundtrack. Hadn’t heard that one in a while.

Looks rough :+1:

Here is a video of someone crazily dropping down that road in the other (fast) direction. The narrator/cameraman can be a bit distracting:

Here’s a first-person view of the descent:

3 Likes

My old commute was down the coast from Carlsbad about 15 miles. Early mornings, hearing the waves crashing on the beach.

The guy has mad skills, but he is also regularly nominating himself for a Darwin award. I hope he doesn’t win, but he has been way too close too many times.

5 Likes

Why ride that fast with flappy tshirt and baggy shorts?