Power Meters for MTB

For what it’s worth I was swapping cranks on an old Trek Top Fuel and someone at 4iiii’s was able to offer some feedback on if they thought the power meter would fit. I had also provided a picture measuring the clearance between my old crankset and frame as a reference.

Might not be a guaranteed answer but worth a shot to shoot them an email. They were super helpful.

I just pulled the trigger ordering a pair of NGeco pm’s for my hardtail and fully. Can’t wait to have power on these bikes and the freedom to run flat or clipless pedals as needed is a nice “feature”. Based on all the positive comments, I am really hoping for a great experience :smiley:

9 Likes

You’ll like them my NG Eco MTB spider has been perfect, stable zero offset, power lines up with my Quarqs and just works no matter the temp or even when wet

5 Likes

They will be my first spider-based PM’s. I have had about one of everything (PT hub, PT pedals and Stages lefty). So this will be fun to try a different one. Considering the limits I had for no left side option, it was P2M or Quarq (ignoring Garmin Rally).

I had a better discount on Quarq, but needing to also by cranks flipped the pure $ comparison to P2M. Sure, the XX1 might be nice, but it kills me that Quarq aren’t willing to offer an option that works for their many other cranks already in use. So I opted for the P2M from that a bit, but largely from the many great comments on here about them as well.

3 Likes

I’ll second this, I have a NGEco. I primary use it with my Element, but I run my Fenix at the same time frequently and it works great.

1 Like

I’ve been on the fence with pulling the trigger on the NGeco for my mountain bike. Looking at the month I’ve done ~15 rides and 32 hours on it versus 4 rides and 4 hours on the trainer with power. Hard to really say I’m keeping to a training plan completely guessing on effort for most of the riding.

Only worry is that the money for the power meter comes out of a tight budget that might also go towards a groad bike (and by then I’d be hooked on the PM and need to upgrade that too).

@mcneese.chad What is the timeline for delivery from P2max?

1 Like

I ordered today and they are set for delivery next Monday. So less than a week from the land of the North to Mid-Montana.

And in an effort not to drive everyone to spending when they don’t need to, Training by HR and RPE still work well. You may not have all the data but leverage training done with power data to harness the feel you can apply outside.

I’m largely doing this because I have shop access and get more from my spending. So luxury is putting it mildly for me.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%. I have power on my main MTB (NGeco as well) and it’s fun, but I could completely do without it. But I do most of my interval sessions on drop bar bikes with PM pedals, and while I thought I would like power on the MTB for TSS, I end up using hrTSS more often because the power based TSS doesn’t at all reflect the effort level or how tired I am after any ride on reasonably challenging trails.

6 Likes

I have an NGeco on my road bike but decided to put a Stages L-only on my XT-equipped trail bike more out of curiosity and budget. Three rides in and it seems fine considering the vast difference between judging power on off road terrain vs tarmac. The Stages crank had readings that were +/- 5ish% different than my Kickr Core while using TR ERG mode and my computer reading Kickr and my Wahoo Roam reading the crank. Might need to try it using Power Match and see how it feels.

1 Like

My MTB is the only bike I have with two working wheels, so all of my outside days are on it. So in that way I am doing all of my endurance rides, hard intervals, races and fun rides on the same bike so the PM would be a great way to measure effort across all my rides.

It’s definitely not necessary, and I went over a year without a working HR monitor so riding was “all natural” RPE only. That just didn’t really work for me, I’d make excuses every ride with nothing to hold me accountable. Then I’m also a sucker for more post ride data, and already have saved/budgeted the money for it. There isn’t really room for another bike in my life but N+1 is just hard to overcome.

1 Like

Ditto, I have one on my roadie and will likely get one on the MTB too.

Well worth it in that case then!

This has been fixed for over a year now with firmware updates. Works fine on my Stages Carbon GXP.

Not from what I’ve seen.

FWIW I ended up with stages direct onto SRAM GXP. I’ll be fitting it today and ideally riding with it tomorrow albeit it looks like we are having a 12h rain storm here.

I got lucky and seem to have got one 20% cheaper with the Euro>UK import confusion going on at the moment.

Hey guys!

Having some trouble getting a feasible option to measure watts in MTB.
I have the favero assioma duo in the road bike which I use indoors too to train, but I compete in XC so although I know I can use the favero in the MTB bike, I’m afraid I’m not in the level of going clipped at races as sometimes I’ve fall because of that.

I’ve tried to train with the favero but the problem is that the clips are too big when you have to walk and clipping is way more difficult as there’s one side only.

I know Garmin has de rally xc but they’re really really expensive (and I’d have to improve my technical skills).

So, do you know any alternative or do you know if favero is going to release at some point a cheaper option of the rally xc of garmin?

Thank you all!

I moved your post under the lengthy one that covers many options.

Hello, has anyone run an oval chainring with their PM?

I’ve come across some info that does show some incorrect power by 2%, but wanted to know if there was a big issue?

I pulled the trigger today to try the Favero Assioma with Xpedo M-Force 8 pedal conversions…

IMO based on the pod location, I think these will be the safest PM outside of a spider. I also like that I can move them from bike to bike without much fuss. You also cannot argue with the accuracy of the units at this point either, I am pretty pumped!

I use an oval chainring with my P2Max on my SC Blur. I’ve seen those numbers that they can be a few percent off. I would say anecdotally that the numbers are probably pretty good. Of course I have no way to directly compare, but when considering my RPE, differences between MTB and Road etc, I think it’s pretty close.

1 Like