Power meter or bike fit

No joint pain at all.
The bike doesn’t need any upgrades so my was thinking that making sure it fits is the next logical step. Hopefully it would make sure I’m riding as efficient as possible and reduce the risk of developing injuries later on.
Thought it was the done thing to be honest.

Currently feel fine but could spend a bit of time making tweeks at home after looking into it more.

Interesting the amount of replies saying a DIY fit will get me pretty close with a bit of time and research. If I was going to guess which way this thread would go I would have put money on most people saying bike fit all day…

3 Likes

There are also online assessments where you fill out quite an extensive questionnaire and input a lot of measurements which then produces a detailed report of measurements and angles. Thought this sounded like a good place to possibly start as a reference point and it’s very cheap.

You could try this MyVeloFit, discussed in here: MyVeloFit, Online AI Powered Bike Fit

Haven’t got any personal experience with it.

IMO professional bike fits can help if you’re chasing marginal gains, have some sort of mobility issue, or haven’t got a clue where to start and just feel unconfortable. Or on TT bikes, where position has a direct impact on results. But mostly they are a good money maker…

2 Likes

I would prefer power meter in this situation, however, with one caveat. It is only really useful if an athlete is actually using it for his/her training sessions. If athlete only uses it to look at data aftewards, and does not actively use it for interval or continuous efforts in training, it does not make sense to have power meter just to see what power was generated in a weekly buddies ride. If you are training with purpose, then I would prefer power.

2 Likes

I’d plan on using the power meter for training outside definitely. I’ve been a bit obsessed with eventually purchasing one even before I bought the bike I knew I’d always want one.
I’m really data driven anyway which is why I like indoor training so much but enjoy riding outside occasionally and plan on racing in the future. I also love I’m a very undulating area where there are consent steep Climbs and very few flat sections which makes riding consistent in a target zone impossible with the power data. (heart rate and perceived effort out the window when regularly going up 20-33% hills)
All this swaying me heavily towards the power meter.

2 Likes

Before buying your bike (probably too late) try the Specialized bike fit tool. Look for bikes which match Specialized on the geometrygeeks website, or buy a Specialized. If I look at the geometry of say a Specialized Allez, CAAD and Trek ALR, in a 52, they are all pretty much the same top tube length. Err on the side of small, you can always buy a longer stem. Plus a small frame allows a more slammed position, which can make you faster.

1 Like

Judging bike fit based on top tune length is not the best yardstick (as it were).

You should be comparing Stack and Reach between different bikes. That removes variables such as frame angles, etc.

A 55cm TT is not the same between all bikes…however, in absence of S&R, top tube length is a better tool than seat tube…by far.

3 Likes

Power meter definitely. Go to 10 bike fitters and you will get 10 different answers. You basically have 3 points of contact on the bike (well 5 if you count both feet and hands) and you can only really change 2 of those (saddle and bars) and then only in the x and y direction.

2 Likes

Except for most people this mentality of lower is faster leads to discomfort or injury. Lower is only faster if you can comfortably sustain that position for your ride duration, most people sizing down and slamming their stem are just asking for a hurtin

3 Likes

Power Meter. I’ve had ONE power meter and three bike fits. Power meter never fails to tell the truth. Bike fit IMO is quite subjective, even given the more computer-generated aspect.

3 Likes

power meter. Can just fit yourself. or slam your handlebar and lift weights and do yoga until it’s comfortable

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan :joy:

1 Like

I would not count feet and hands, but cleat position should be counted…

2 Likes

Power meter. You can learn a lot and do a lot to improve your bike fit yourself. You can’t guess your output yourself.

Plus, even a lower-end power meter is very useful, whereas a lower-end bike fit can be a total waste of money (though you won’t know it for awhile).

2 Likes

Wasn’t expecting quite so many people saying power meter over bike fit bit mind now made up power meter first and spend some time and effort getting myself fitted even if it’s close enough

1 Like

As a fitter, I am all for them generally speaking. I have personally helped people with issues that they tried to self-correct, but failed to accomplish. I freely admit a fit is not a cure-all, but there are times when you really benefit from an experienced person driving the bus.

As long as you aren’t experiencing any notable issues, I think a power meter is likely the better first step. But I’ve even helped people who came in for a “check-up” fit with no known issues. After some review, I was able to adjust a few things for many of them and improve their experience in ways they never considered.

All that to say that the oversimplification of fitting mentioned in some cases above misses the greater picture and intricacies that apply for fitting some riders.

5 Likes

Without a correct fitting bike, a power meter is moot. Go Bike fit 100%.

1 Like

How does a correct fitting bike ensure you are training in your correct power zones?

2 Likes