Power meter or bike fit

It doesn’t, but I know for me, my average speed anything more than 1-1.5hrs went up quite a bit with a correct bike fit, but I’m fortunate I had a good one.

2 Likes

Bike fit.

I had no physical problems riding my bike. However, I did suspect that in terms of bio-mechanics, things could improve so I underwent a bike fit. And indeed, tweaking centimeter here and millimeter there, I could really feel that effort was more efficiently transferred to my bike.

Measuring power is very important but only after you know that power is put to good use.

2 Likes

As someone who enjoys playing around with fit, in particular on the TT bike, I would vote power meter.

I have tried several different TT fits that “worked”, both with a professional fit and on my own, and I could imagine the same fitter prescribing each for me for different reasons based on the given context of that day. I do think I’ve gained a greater understanding of what works for me and what could work for me because of the constant tinkering on my position, videos of myself pedaling, obsessing about the fits and body mechanics of various fast pros (TT and tri), and what just looks good for a given fit. I do think I’ve been able to achieve decent optimizations as a result of those things alongside my body’s feedback, and the confidence I have with my fit is due to the work I’ve put into it. Finally, I do have some experience with bike fit and biomechanics, and I do enjoy it, so those are big factors in why this has has worked well for me.

Caveats:

1. I like doing bike fit tweaks and learning about the new trends and fit ideaologies, whether that’s Slowtwitch FIST method or just trying to be super critical of newer pro trends in fit. If you don’t at least a little bit enjoy that type of stuff, get the fit first.
  2. If you have any pain, discomfort, or other inefficiency that stands out, I’d get the fit first in that case, too.
1 Like

Power meter.

Are you having discomfort on your bike? Then make small adjustments and see if it helps. Have someone look at you and suggest corrections. If you aren’t having discomfort…then don’t.

Training with power is a game changer. Racing with power is even better because you can properly pace yourself. Don’t worry about cooking your legs. Or worse…leaving too much in the tank. And once you have power…you have it.

2 Likes

Power meter.

What was the other option? :yum:

1 Like