Power meter lifetime

Can anyone comment on expected powermeter life span? I’ve got about five and a half years now on my trusty quarq (on my cross bike) and I’m wondering if I need to start thinking about a replacement. I haven’t had any issues, which I guess is a sign that I’m over thinking things.

2 Likes

I think I have had my Be Pro S 4 and a half years it seems reliable enough that I can’t really justify replacing it. I might go for double sided when it eventually wears out but I have been saying that for a while :rofl:

1 Like

I have a Quarq from 2015 still going strong. About 30k miles, 85% outside in all New England weather conditions.

2 Likes

I had a power tap in the hub of a wheel for about 3-4years and it ended up failing, probably from corrosion (rode it 4 seasons in New England outside always). I’d say pm in general are pretty sturdy.

2 Likes

The only power meter that I killed was a Powertap SL+ hub that eventually cracked at the spoke flanges. Took about 14 years to die though, after having been built into 5/6 different rims and 4 bearing changes.

3 Likes

Two Quarqs since about 2015 (whatever model came just after the Riken). Zero issues in about 20 zillion miles.

(I’m sure I just jinxed myself!)

1 Like

I use Favero Assioma Duo pedals on all my bikes (three which i ride switching each other), first pair is from January 2018… First got replacement spindles since the battery was discharging without any reason (maybe it was just software issue solved with newer firmware). New spindles installed on 25000 km mark… 6500km later my left spindle is going dead mode (just going totaly dead after few minutes of riding… Need to power on with charger) … So at my case: About 4 years and 31500km… Not in a hurry to replace with new pair or spindle, since i can still switch workings pairs…

Quarq make solid PM’s. If yours is working fine, then carry on as normal.

1 Like

I saw a GP Lama video about the favero assioma.
And his statement sounds like the batteries can handle a whole professional career.

Assiomas Arena great3

1 Like

I have a Gen 1 Stages (SRAM GXP) from when they released it… early 2013 I think.

2 Likes

Yeah given how long the batteries will last on a single charge the batteries could potentially last many many years if you’re not constantly topping them up. I’ve had my Assiomas since early 2018, so almost 4 years now and they haven’t given me any issues. I’ve replaced the bearings twice now and I’m getting close to wanting to put some new pedal bodies on them, but aside from that they’ve been perfect and I don’t see much opportunity for them to stop working unless I damage them.

1 Like

I had a stages that i killed after 3 years, i think the seals failed in the battery, but i have 2 gen-1 stages that the battery doors keep going (but stages is REALLY good about sending you new ones) and the things keeps going (although they eat through battery’s the older they get) after 6 years.

1 Like

I think I got my V3 in 2018. Well over 30,000 miles now. Totally submerged in water several times in flood conditions.

1 Like

Given my Favero Be Pro S (the forerunner) battery is still going strong, seems as good as new (5 years ago) I have no reason to doubt that :+1:

Found this old thread while looking for PM lifespan.
I’m a bit disappointed by my 4iiii, it’s not even 3 years old, and here is what I got on yesterday’s ride :

Looks like I’m ready for Tour De France …

I pretty much ride only on dry road (only a couple of rainy rides). So I’m not sure what went wrong.
Anyone else having issues with 4iiii after just a few years ?

If you post that power curve on eBay or Facebook Marketplace, I’ll bet you would find someone happy to pay you an inflated price for your power meter! :wink:

But yes, that is frustrating after three years.

1 Like

Not with my 4iii’s fortunately but it was a replacement for an Avio Power Sense. My first Avio done that when it went from sub zero deg C to above. After a factory install which they turned round fast it was sorted and reliable for a year, but it seals failed in the middle of lockdown and they weren’t as responsive then so I sourced the 4iii, sod’s law Avio responded about 2 weeks after the 4iii’s arrived and sent me new seals quickly after :joy:

What did you expect powerwise? Couldn’t this be a doubling error in the software

Since it wasn’t a very hard group ride, I expected the “This Ride” curve to be under the “Last 6 Weeks” one.
It’s difficult to tell if there were a constant factor applied. Definitely more than double.
Maybe something that felt like 230 was recorded as 550, as a rough estimate.
And for the spikes at 2400, I have no idea. I only saw that on intervals.icu after the ride
My heart rate does not show that I push like crazy, but if it was just a few second, it would not show anyway. And I would not remember.
But it does not look like random number either. The power would go down when I release the pressure, and go up otherwise.

Software wise, I tried on both my Garmin and the Trainer Road app, just in case. I also changed the battery.
Now I just have to cancel my plan until I get a new one … :grimacing:

It looks like a structured workout, was it and what were the power numbers for the intervals?