Power meter advice: Vectors or Quarq?

I’ve used loads of Quarq PM’s and every one has been rock solid, every time!

I actually like the look of the Quarq. Little hesitation at first but also purchased installed from Trek back in June
0e9a8f2d68808ab69098e0fbf7322138d41e1b5e

2 Likes

Thought I’d ask since you didn’t specify riding type.

For what it’s worth I’d buy a Quarq in your situation. I had Favero and like them but they were single sided. I like the Quarq more for the freedom of choosing cleats/pedals, battery life and battery type, and dual sided measurements. Quarq (and SRAM) CS has been very good to me.

I’ve had the Vectors for two years and they are nothing but problems. Drops, battery drains, crazy readings, bad bearings, etc.
I’d pay twice as much for a PM that’s reliable… soon!

Ok. Sounds like there is clear direction from this thread :smile: Thanks all.

1 Like

I’ve had a Quarq for 3.5 years and its been bullet proof. I’d get another one without hesitation.

Vectors have been garbage for me. Even after getting the special batteries (CR1/3N) the Vectors have been unreliable. I’d get the Quarqs if they made them with 165mm cranks.

They most certainly do make them in 165mm, check them out on quarq’s website. Maybe your local supplier is telling you lies

3 Likes

2 Likes

I run 165 Quarq cranks with PM on my TT.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I have no idea what I was looking at, I was positive I was looking at Quarq’s website but obviously I wasn’t. Now the question is, which bottom bracket should I be getting? My Tarmac is Shimano threaded, according to Specialized’s website.

I may well be wrong, but I think you want this one for threaded. 2nd opinion very welcome here.

1 Like

Thanks Chad. The current BB I have on the bike says BBR60.

Ok, that should be a Shimano 105 for BSA threaded based on my search.

So I think the Dub above it a match.

1 Like

I’ve been using Quarq PMs over the past 6 years and currently on my 5th one. I still use the first model that had a larger battery type in it.

Never experienced a single issue with any of them.

Fantastic customer support also.

I’d go with the vector pedals. I bring them with me all the time, I find it really nice to be able to mount it on any bike**. I’ve even put them on a peloton bike and a gym spin bike.

I did have issues at first, but then I got a replacement set and the issues have gone away.

** You just have to remember to update the crank length on your head unit when you switch bikes.

1 Like

Quarq. Rock solid all…day… Long. I’ve had two and the one I had issue with after 2+ years, the customer support team took care of me. I’ve even swapped it between bikes in what I think would take less time than a set of pedals (or at least pretty close)

Quarq all day. Been great devices for me for years; super customer service as well.

If you crash, vector pedals can be toast pretty quickly.

If you want to go with a pedal based power meter (used if you travel / rent bikes or need to swap between multiple bikes) I would add my vote for the Favero Assioma Pedals as they are excellent. Although a few people I know have stuck with the Vectors, way too many people are still having issues with them. I returned mine after they replaced a pair that broke. I had way too many intermittent crazy spikes, drop outs, etc. with the Vectors and it is super frustrating. The Assioma’s have been solid, not a single issue.

If you want a crank based power meter then the Quarq is a great choice.

Here’s another vote for the Quarq. I’ve had three Quarqs (the first I traded in for Riken which I still am using on my trainer bike) starting back in 2011, and I’ve never had a problem with any of them.

One of the Quarqs is on my trainer bike, and the other is on my gravel bike. My only power meter regret is when I got my current road bike last year, I went with the dual-side Pioneer on the Shimano Ultegra crank instead of another Quarq. If I’d known then what I know now about the Shimano crank / power meter issues, I would have easily gone with the Quarq.