Post Your Strength Training Routines

Mine… I have progressions for each involving dumbbells, kettlebells, weight vest, but all started at bodyweight at 2x8… I progress up to 3x12 then add weight. This was yesterday’s workout:

3x12 Overhead 16lb dumbbell split squat
3x12 bosu ball push-ups

2x10 35lb kettlebell single leg stiff leg deadlift
3x10 70lb band pull down

2x12 ab wheel
60s (10s alt sides) anti rotation planks
90s bosu glute bridge

About 20-25min in my garage. I add box jumps and other explosive exercises in race season, but the focus is on functional strength the way we use it.

I also do the founders set Chad recommended years ago on the podcast for posterior chain work. It’s 12 min of strength and hip flexibility. Really good. I try to hit it as often as I can. I do a little yoga as well. A very little.

So are any of you riding on the days you do these lifting programs? A year ago I was riding 7 days a week (at least 3 very ez days) and making solid gains in the bike. This year I am riding 5 days a week and dedicating 2 days to only strength. Holding steady from an FTP standpoint right now and happy with where I am.

Keep thinking I should be riding on my strength days (something ez like Baxter or eaiser) as well but don’t want to overthink it.

2 Likes

Yes, I ride or run 7 days per week. Try out some easier recovery rides on your strength days and see how you feel.

Will you list out what this includes?

Foundation work for cyclists (posterior chain strength and hip mobility)

4 Likes

Not at this stage of the year. In season I switch to maintenance level lifting and usually can that when I get to build phase. Next year I willl once again try to keep it going but it’s hard to juggle it all.

Cycling 3x week, LV plan. Weights 3x week 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps, followed by 10-15 mins core in Peloton app. I lift pretty light on the legs.

Workout 1

• Squat
  • Bench Press
  • Bent-Over Row
  • Barbell Curls

Workout 2

• Deadlift
  • Overhead Press
  • Pull-Ups
  • Parallel Bar Dips

I’m faster on the bike but FTP has plateaued. This winter I plan to switch to cycling 4x week, MV plan skipping Weds. Weights + core 2x week.

2 Likes

I ride same day as strength all the time. Usually the same day as a significant bike workout. Always bike first, then strength. Keep easy days easy, and strength isn’t easy.

4 Likes

I’m starting it on Monday… it looks promising

1 Like

A

Push ups im doing standards Diamonds and arrchers about 6-7 sets 6-12 of them

Pike pushup 3-5 sets 6-12 reps

Planche or handstands progression for about 10 minutes

Squat barbell 3 sets 6-12 reps

Deadlift barbell same as above

Core dragonflag progression right now

B

Pull ups about 5 sets

Dips 5 sets

Planche or handstand progression

Squat pistols

One leg Deadlifts

Core same as above

Doung this at least 2 times a week

2 Likes

2 Likes

Just curious: Do you do your strength workout immediately after the bike workout?

1 Like

If my schedule can support it, I’ll do strength a few hours later (end ride at 830am, strength at 12:30 or 1). If not, I do it immediately following. The good part about my routine is being single leg stuff, there’s not a ton of weight to move so the ride fatigue doesn’t detract much if I have to go right after a ride.

3 Likes

Best to do your harder workouts same day as strength, but spread out as far as practical.

A couple of times lately I’ve had to coincide easier bike days with weights. This makes the next day’s harder bike days (at this time of the season = tempo or mild SST) unpleasantly high RPE. Although I’ve still managed to get through so far, it feels a bit too much like suffering for this time of year.

4 Likes

I do a variety of those exercises but with a lot less structure. Roughly 30-60min 4x/wk. And I also stretch for 15-30min most days.

Riding easy group rides on the trainer 5d/wk and a couple of short runs on the treadmill

This is off season so I just want to keep active without the pressure of a structured plan.

1 Like

I’ve taken guidance from the guys at StrongFirst, who emphasize developing strength over building muscle using grip strength, 6 Rep max efforts and 3 minute rest in between sets. I’ve also taken on the elements of Coach Chad’s recommendations and adapted them to my equipment.

Weights sessions scheduled Tue/Thu in the afternoon after my harder workouts in the morning. a 3rd session on the weekend is a bonus.

Warmup with 90 seconds of skipping

Set 1 x 3 with 3min rest
Deadlift 6 rep max
Bench Press 6 rep max

Set 2 x 3 with 3min rest
Squat 6 rep max
Upright rowing 6 rep max

Set 3 x 3 with 3min rest
Bulgarian (single) leg squat 6 rep max holding dumbbells
Kettle Bell swings x 15

No rest in between the two lifts. I usually do this with one of my boys and we play basketball, cricket or table tennis in between which keeps the heart rate up while the muscles recover. 35-40min to complete.

4 Likes

I know I already posted about doing Stronglifts 3x a week but I’m thinking of switching things up a bit so wanted to show what I’m oging to be trying. I did this a few years back and had a lot of fun with it. It’s a 3x a week Olympic lifting program. I’m curious to see how it will feel on the legs vs Stronglifts where I’m already squatting 3x a week.

Here’s an example of Week 1.

I would do additionaly side planks perfect to stabilize your hips and support your hip flexors

Until I hit a ceiling or get bored, keeping it super simple. In and out of the gym in well under 30 minutes.

3x5

• Squat
  • Dead lift
  • Shoulder press
  • Bench press
    Finished with some pulls ups - wide and narrow mix.
6 Likes

Pretty much my approach – but more like 45 min.

At the gym, a mix of these depending on the day: goblet squats/Overhead squat, hex bar deadlift, hanging clean and OH press, assisted pullups (yeah, well…) dumbell chest press, cable machine pulldowns (for xc skiing double poling). Also mix in battle ropes and some ab-specific work from time to time.

At home KB swings and TGUs. Also working some Knees Over Toes Guy (worth Googling) basics for knee issues – walking backwards, anterior tib raises, one-legged squats.

While typing I keep thing of more stuff, so maybe not so simple… and looking to build on some of Menachim Brodie’s stuff. But still focusing on being efficient w/time.