Pools and COVID 19 safety

Is anyone aware of any studies that looked at the safety of indoor salt water pools with COVID 19 transmission? Should we be concerned about using the pools at our local gyms once they reopen?

I heard (not sure if true) that the pool chlorine kills the virus.
So as long as the people are not coughing over you, it should be fine (if what i heard is true)

The problem is that you’re in an enclosed space with recirculated air. There aren’t any definitive studies, but, FWIW I’d be more concerned about the locker room than the pool itself due to research regarding the length of time the virus can survive on surfaces and close proximity that’s likely in a locker room.

4 Likes

“The CDC reported on March 10 that “there is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools and hot tubs. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.””

Let me preface my statements with this.I have been in the pool industry for 26 years and had my Certified Pool Operator license for ~12 years.

In a properly sanitized pool the virus would be killed quite quickly. Salt water will make no difference since it just a different method by which chlorine is produced.

I would agree with the previous post stating the larger concerns:

1. Indoor air contamination (this is a respiratory virus)
  2. Locker room. Surface contamination
    Either of these would demonstrate a much greater risk of contamination than the swimming itself.

Would I still go swimming? Yes.
Will I go swimming? No.
Why not? I’d rather ride MTB!

3 Likes

This statement applies for all life events. The only exception, is if there is imminent danger to the other bikes in your garage which requires immediate attention to avoid your n+1 number becoming n-3.

2 Likes

My masters swim team has decided to take it outside…we’re lucky to have a lake close by even though it’s pretty darn cold, some people are on their kayaks/paddleboards and we have maybe 3-4 swimmers

1 Like

My view is that the risks are basically the same as being outside in a park with equal size as the pool. The risk isnt the water; you still have to breathe, assuming you havent found some scuba specific pool.