Overtraining, Cyclist Rider Types, Plateauing, and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 350

Me during that moment:
:eye: :lips: :eye:

6 Likes

I can see the potential for confusion, its what I sometimes call “confusing the issue with facts” :joy: but Nate was right to point out that TR is using HR for TSS estimation, and the subsequent team acknowledgement of the value of HR and its place on the roadmap. Amber recapped with “FTP only needs power” to avoid any confusion. :ok_hand: perfect.

2 Likes

My spirit animal.

2 Likes

To be fair. It’s the first time I ever noticed the podcast having sound issues, except for podcasts in which you already warned for bad audio. So don’t be to hard on yourself.

8 Likes

It’s all good on my end. My friends and I record a podcast so I am very in tune with the sound of laptop typing on a recording. Since I do the “producing” I understand how difficult distributed/remote podcasting is and I’m actually very impressed you get the constant high quality you do regularly. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

I would agree with Chad’s take that it seemed to get a bit messy at that point, like neither person knew exactly how much they were going to reveal.

There was even a joke about it going a bit ‘beers with’ and whilst that can be very entertaining, an element of playing freestyle is that it exposes your personal style.

Maybe Nate just hadn’t read the ‘this is how far we will disclose’ email?

I quite like the messy bits, gives it a real, raw, personal feel.

2 Likes

I could only tolerate an hour of it. Hate that I missed the other topics.

1 Like

Love the podcast, but lately someone is typing, driving me mad, plesse Stop!!! Is it just me?

1 Like

Jon addresses this in the episode thread as a post-production issue.

1 Like

I moved your post under yhe main podcsst thread. Your concern has been addressed above.

I work with somebody who has a mechanical keyboard. Talk about loud. lol

1 Like

Do you guys ever do written summaries of these podcasts? I don’t have 2h to listen to them - I need something a bit denser that I can just read in a few minutes.

I just checked, and it appears that the blog posts for the podcast episodes now include a written transcript. Not sure if that works for you since it’s not condensed, but it’s something.

They do frequently pull some topics into more consolidated version of their regular blog posts, as well as YT video shorts from some segments. So those can be reviewed as well.

2 Likes

I mean, condensed would be easier, but a transcript is already pretty good as I can skim through it!

We often publish blog posts derived from the deep dives. Typically these lag a week or two behind the Podcast. I’ll have one based on the protein discussion up in the next few days.

10 Likes

Where do we find the radio button to select early access? I can’t find it in account in the app. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

The typing was a bit annoying on the podcast…I’ve heard it before but this time was louder than before. Oddly I can’t hear it on the YouTube video? And I replayed back each feed side by side and could not identify who was doing the typing from the YT feed…so was there a ‘moderator/producer’ in the background doing it instead and it’s their keyboard picking up the clack clack, because I would assume they are taking notes, answering live questions, etc etc? Live feedback is great, so make sure the moderator mic is not the computer’s built-in one, and if its a separate (USB) mic, suspend it off an arm off the desk.

On Nate stepping in, yea communication avoids confusion, and/or a strict agenda and previously agreed upon talking points that everyone gets/knows limits. If you didn’t get time to discuss them, its not on the agenda then, and any live questions are answered by only one person who knows the spin to use (even if that is not Nate :slight_smile: ) . Got to protect your intellectual property so no mistakes.

HR is used in AI FTP Detection for outside workouts without a power meter. She was told incorrect information by someone else, but we’ve talked and all on the same page now.

So if you do outside rides without a PM, wear a HR monitor to improve AI FTP Detection.

In summary:

1. You don’t need HR to use AI FTP Detection
  2. If you do outside rides without a power meter, wear a HR to improve HR FTP Detection
  3. We have plans to include more HR metrics in lots of things, so you should start wearing your HR strap for all rides (this is different than things I said 3 years ago).
7 Likes