Normalized Power Vs FTP

Question:

You complete a work out at a higher FTP but need back pedals to complete it so you end up with a normalized power of say 220. You do the same workout at an FTP 20 watts lower and you need zero back pedals to complete it so you also end up with a normalized power of 220. Was your FTP too high in workout #1? I’m kind of seeing this trend on a few of my workouts after lowering my FTP…….well the last ramp test lowered my FTP! I have yet to perform very well on the new ramp test so I’m looking for some other markers that would indicate I have it right.

Thank you.

1 Like

NP isn’t a good indicator of FTP, highly anaerobically inclined people can generate NPs well above what they can generate in steady state conditions (I think my 20min NP best is 320 but I’d never do that steady state). I’d do 2x20 or 4x10 at threshold and see how it feels. Basically you’ll only ever know it’s right if you can feel it is right.

1 Like

One of the more common post test, tests is to do Lamarck. This (and some other workouts) can give you a possible confirmation about how close you have your FTP.

Some other options.

2 Likes

Thank you @mastratton3. I agree that normalized power is not an indicator of FTP. But if you have your FTP set at 263 and you complete a vo2 max workout with some back pedals resulting in a normalized power for the workout of 215. And then complete the same workout at an FTP of 246 and needed zero back pedals to complete the workout resulting in a normalized power of 215. If I’m producing the same normalized power at the lower FTP I would be inclined to think my previos FTP was too high no? If my FTP had actually decreased I would think I would see a lower normalized power on identical workouts. Hopefully this makes sense:-)

Bumping this because it’s relevant to me as of this past week end. Frank Overton of Fascat Coaching (Phil Gaimon’s coach) said this at minute 7:50:

“Guys and gals, if your peak 60 min NP is greater than what you have your FTP set at, guess what? That’s your new FTP.”

Have a listen to the clip here:

3 Likes

My 60 minute NP for the race was 326. Average power was 257. I think 326 is close but, I’m a little hesitant as a 75W spread is well 75W.:wink:

I’ve always used 95% of 20 minute average power or the TR ramp test for TR workouts.

And that’s not correct. 95% of 20 min average power not NP.

1 Like

Which is more to my point/question/observation: That is I’ve always used average power for 20 min. Using NP for 60 is just weird and new to me. Would have thought average power for 60…I must have missed this over the years.

1 Like

I’d be suspect of doing that with such a high VI. That VI is even higher than Jonathan’s from Sea otter last weekend.

1 Like

For the race VI was 1.33. IF was 1.14. Clearly FTP was set too low. Not surprising as I finished SSB1 and hadn’t retested yet. But yeah I think the same. Best to test consistently. I was more curious why Frank was going down this path. He clearly said if you can get an FTP this way you won’t waste valuable training time. Perhaps I misunderstood something…

I’m surprised Frank would say that, especially because he coaches high level athletes where an informal, kitchen sink type, brutal workout, is to go normalize your FTP for 2-2.5h…a hard crit will give you a normalized power above your FTP; personally I would steer clear of that recommendation.

1 Like

Agreed. Listen to the clip though. I thought it was strange…

60 normalized is where I’m going sideways. Clearly inferring FTP from 20 or even 40 min NP crit is not ideal. But, when he said 60 NP…I’ll listen again for any ref to VI levels.

will queue it up for the drive, thanks for passing along @KorbenDallas

1 Like

The Seven Deadly Sins

"the seven deadly sins.......er, ways of determining your functional threshold power (roughly in order of increasing certainty):

1. from inspection of a ride file.
2. from power distribution profile from multiple rides.
3. from blood lactate measurements (better or worse, depending on how it is done).
4. based on normalized power from a hard ~1 h race.
5. using critical power testing and analysis.
6. from the power that you can routinely generate during long intervals done in training.
7. from the average power during a ~1 h TT (the best predictor of performance is performance itself).
2 Likes

Oh man I forgot about this one from Dr. Coggan. This makes it all even more confusing because if I’m not mistaken Frank knows his ****. I’ll think I’ll just ask him and hopefully get an answer/insight to what he meant. Thx for posting the sins.

Thanks for that! I messaged Frank just to clarify…hopefully he will respond.

Can you find your peak 60min NP from TR?

Not sure. The career page pulls from all rides. Even still, I’ve not done an all out 60 minute effort on TR so I don’t think it would be relevant.

Here is what Frank replied to me:

There is no VI attached because that’d be something you would look at in the analysis. Knowing the Sea Otter course and the hill’s demand for anaerobic outputs its likely that this is an “NP buster” but I’d half to look at the file. Also you’d want to look at what your FTP is in relation to the 60 min NP. If significantly higher you could have set a higher FTP. You also want to factor in you anaerobic strength

By the above is this to mean that if you do Lamarck, at the end, what is spit out as your NP for the workout should be close to what your current FTP is (if you were to retest with the ramp test instead of doing Lamarck)?