New XC MTB for 2020 - What to Get?

Specialized Epic full squishier. :raised_hands::100:

Thanks, helps a lot, and that sounds like an awesome build!

My Oiz M10 MY2020 in size Medium was 10.68kg (23,54lbs) out of the box.

Pretty sure it won’t be a problem getting it sub 10kg. I’d be surprised if my M-LTD that arrives in December won’t be sub 10kg from the factory.

1 Like

I did the Austin Rattler this past Spring. Yeah, right after my first lap it started lightning and raining like crazy. I was able to get in the second lap though. It was disappointing they cut it short, cause I had paced myself to really hammer the 3rd lap.

The course was newly cut for this past year. Starts out as a dirt road for about 2-3 miles, then turns into a wide cut path (4-5 feet wide) with consistent, never ending ups-and-downs (15 - 50 feet). Instead of being smashed by 4-5 big climbs, its like getting stabbed with an ice-pick all day long. At the bottom of most of the little hills are off-camber turns that take skill to maintain momentum through. The dirt is loose and gravelly (sp?) but maybe that was because it was such a new trail. For tires I ran Forekasters F/R (thankful to have those with the rain), but this year I’m going to try to use Aspens or another faster rolling tire and work on my cornering skills. There is some cool singletrack dispersed into it, and a couple neat granite rock descents and climbs. Oh, and it takes place during the blue bonnet season (TX state flower), which grow all over the place along the trail - it is beautiful.

3 Likes

Geometry is obviously dated, but Superflys are great bikes. I was riding / racing a Fisher version '09 until about 1.5 years ago! I loved how the suspension felt after riding a few dual link bikes. I said that if you could stretch the top tube and slack the HA a bit it would be as good as any of the new super XC bikes…

I did the Rattler in 2017, but they moved it last year to Reveille Peak Ranch. I haven’t ridden out there yet, but my friend rides there all the time and loves it. He also did the 2018 Rattler and was caught in the storm. I can try and get some insights from him.

I just picked up my custom painted Orbea Oiz M-LTD. We weighed it and with tubes and tubeless valves attached to the wheels it was 9.8kg(!). So probably around 9.5kg race ready.

Post useless without pic so here it goes.

17 Likes

No mention of cannondale scalpel? Seems like a capable choice. However I’ve done the atx rattler a few times (last year at reveille peak also) and Leadville a couple times always on a ti hardtail. Find a bike that fits you, does not have proprietary parts and has two bottle cages (for me anyways).

1 Like

That’s pretty damn light! I weighed my race ready cyclocross bike last week w/ full carbon tubular wheels and it came out at 9.4kg (I’d always assumed lighter), so I’m actually now slightly less concerned if my MTB is a couple kg heavier than that…admittedly that was using a set of Withings scales so maybe not as accurate as hanging the bike.

1 Like

It does not exist yet. If live valve is as good as initially reported I would love to see a xc light frame and build with live valve, spec’d with 140-150mm travel. On top of that, how about a return to 26” or at least 27.5 wheels. There are so many re-accelerations in xc, worst place to add weight in tires, rims, spoke combo. More plush travel, better traction, lower rotational mass, live valve pedal efficiency, lighter overall bike weight, the holy grail of xc race bikes! Probably a warranty nightmare though for bike companies.

Just picked up my XL 2019 Orbea Oiz M10-TR. Found it on clearance along with a pair of Mavic CrossMax Carbon Elite Wheels. Set up tubeless with sealer and no pedals it came in on shop scales at 25 lb 5 oz. Plans call for a local gravel grinder in Jan (MTB division), Austin Rattler in March and Leadville maybe someday…

22 Likes

Congratulations!

i have just ordered the Revolver FS120 AXS. I ddn’t have the opportunity to demo it but fingers crossed. The Pivot mach 4 sounds awesome but very pricy in NZ and the Revolver was a top spec for a good price. I did tryt he Yeti but thought hat the rear suspension was a bit stiff but that may have been the way it was set up.

1 Like

For my Oiz, I am setting up the original stock aluminum wheels as a backup/XCM/Gravel set. Ordered a pair of Aspens. Caught a SRAM Eagle XX1 cassette on sale along with some XT rotors. Will put the XX1 and XT rotors on the carbon wheels and move the GX cassette and SLX rotors over to the backup set.
Love the bike but still dialing in fit. Original stem is +/- 12 degr. and put too much weight on my hands. I have a 0 degree stem on order which I hope is perfect.

Congrats! Please post your impressions once you have a few miles on the Revolver!

Will do, but don’t pick it up until Jan.

1 Like

The GX build is $5,399.00 (all in USD) with the AXS at $8,699.00. The Pivot XT/XTR build is $6,399.00. Hmm It is hard to find the weights of the bikes. I think the FS120AXS will be just under 11kg. For me it was spec and price. The Pivot Mach4 SL XTR was close to $10k in NZ and I have got the Norco Revolder FS120 AXS for around 6000 USD picking it up in Australia. Looks like the pricing directs you to the Mach4 SL which will be lighter and better spec than the GX Revolver build for sure.

Just listened back to the podcast where they were talking about @Nate_Pearson’s new Mach 4 SL. @Jonathan said something about the suspension design potentially being design around the use of the live valve. Saying that they can just prioritize the wide open suspension design for plushness and comfort in the rough stuff and not have to optimize any pedaling efficiency since that will be monitored by the live valve. Doesn’t this mean that the non live valve versions would be negatively affected and would not pedal well? Does anyone have any experience with this?

1 Like

No, the non-live valve versions pedal extremely well. They still use the DW link, which is one of the best pedaling rear suspension designs in the industry.

4 Likes

Thanks! I wonder what @Jonathan was referring to then. Or maybe he was just speculating or saying that its a future possibility with frame designs.

1 Like