New XC MTB for 2020 - What to Get?

Been shopping for one too. I was checking out the Scott RC. I would like to check out a Norco Revolver FS. Anyone have any experience with them?

2 Likes

This was my exact thoughts after riding a Mach 4 SL this past weekend. I couldn’t believe how well that rear suspension worked on technical uphills, and just everywhere in general. That rear suspension is just sooooo good, and I was riding the non-live valve version. Can’t imagine how good the fancy version is. I will likely be putting in an order for one in the not to distant future.

1 Like

The Spark I wanted isn’t available until March, so I came back to researching the Mach 4 SL (I was initially turned off by pricing). Now I am leaning this way too, money be damned. The question is which build…I don’t think I’m going with Live Valve, though.

1 Like

The shop I demo’d the Pivot from, quoted me something like $1500 off MSRP. Under $5k for the Pro build.

that’s interesting. A discount that large
might be enough to sway me…

Did Jonathan try to steer you towards the Yeti SB100?

What was the deciding factor that convinced you to go with Pivot?

Chris Cocalis knows his stuff, so I’m sure you’re going to love the Mach 4.

Where do you live? Will be interesting to see if I can find same level of discount where I am. That would make a big difference.

Southern Indiana.

He totally tried to steer me towards the SB100. I did a demo with the SB100 and didn’t like it. To be fair I don’t think the suspension was setup correction for me and the brakes had dramatically different pulls which made the whole thing feel super sketchy.

I think everyone should take my MTB reviews with a grain of salt since I don’t think I’m as in tune with the finer points of MTBing like other people are.

That being said I’M TOTALLY PUMPED ON MY NEW BIKE! Im on a plane right now heading back to Reno and it’s being built. NBDs are the best!!

The pivot had a few things that made me go for it:

• More slack head tube with 120mm fork and short seat tubes. I should be able to climb without picking up the front wheel and use some of my new DH skills
  • Live value - I’m a sucker for efficiency and want every single watt. I like to get out of the saddle when I MTB and having a firm platform sounds great. All the reviews I read of it have been really positive.
  • 2 bottles on XL size (I think L too) - You can mount two bottles in the frame on the XL size. I prefer to ride without a pack and this makes that possible.
  • Good reviews from the Stans-Pivot team - They rode a bunch of prototypes and a few of them told me that it was a really good bike.
  • It’s pretty light! It should be close to my Epic.
5 Likes

I am also looking at the Revolver. Seems to be flying under the radar. If you get to demo or hear any good reviews, please relay them here.

I’m looking for a new XC/DC bike, but I’m definitely going to buy from my local shop, so my options are a little limited. The Norco and the Santa Cruz Blur are the only true XC bikes, but I could also get the Ibis Ripley, which is definitely more on the trail side of things, but extremely efficient by all accounts. I think I’m not going to get the Blur, so right now it’s down to the Norco or the Ripley (assuming that Transition doesn’t suddenly release an XC bike :)).

The revolver seems a bit high on the price to me? What do I know…

I demoed a ripley at outerbike in Moab for a day and loved it.

The pivot is definitely a more xc oriented bike which I also rode while I was there.

Well, I think all bikes are high priced these days, but I don’t see the Revolver standing out in that regard. $8600 for full AXS with carbon wheels seems downright fiscally responsible.

1 Like

Fair enough, I agree for that build it’s not bad.

I was looking at the gx build. At that price I think I’d get the pro xt/xtr pivot Mach 4 sl over the Norco.

And I continue my constant perseveration over this decision.

I’ve got the Orbea Oiz XC (100mm f/r) as my only MTB since last June. 22.5 lbs. ready to ride, including 9point8 Fall Line R dropper, pedals, cages (2 in the triangle), pump, and seat bag with spares. It climbs awesome thanks to the remote lockout. It descends really well, so much so I always feel like I’m taking it easy and then when I get home, I’ve got a bunch of new PRs (compared to my 2014 Jet 9 RDO at 24 lbs and full lockout).

The paint is super thin and they don’t sell touchup so that’s a huge bummer.

4 Likes

I’ve ridden the Ripley and the Blur. The Norco is on my list as well but I haven’t ridden it yet. The Blur is becoming one of my favorite bikes. I’ve raced it a few times now and it’s only in the most burliest terrain when I wish I had a trail bike. Recommend getting a Step Cast 34 fork if you’re dancing between a dedicated race bike and a trail bike - problem solved.

2 Likes

Nice! What build Oiz did you go for? I’ve kind of got my eye on one but there doesn’t seem to be a ton of information out there on weight, apart from I think they range from about 30lbs at the alu H30 end of the range to 21lbs (?) at the M-LTD end.

I know the Giant Anthem isn’t the sexy pick, but the bike is pretty amazing and always a good value. I’d look at that or the Spark.

1 Like

I’m still rocking a Trek Superfly. Still does everything I want, so see no reason to upgrade.
Do I want a fancier bike. Yes. Need one. Nope. So will keep running it probably till it dies completely.

1 Like

The demo bike I tried from their fleet, was a Large M-10 TR (120mm) w/ Fox 34 Fork XT brakes, aluminum wheels (tubed), and Crank Bro dropper and remote came in at 25 lbs with pedals but no bottle cages or seat bag/supplies. This has the FSA SLK bars/stem/seat post.

My Oiz arrived as a Large MyO custom M-10 XC (100mm), w/ Fox 32 Fork, aluminum wheels (tubed), upgraded XTR brakes and FSA K-force bars/stem/seat post was 23.5 lbs (out of the box, no pedals, cages, bag).

All the carbon frames are the same OMR frame as the M-LTD, the builds just come down to parts they put on them. I’ve completely rebuilt mine with lighter components like:
RaceFace Next SL g5 cranks w/ Cinch PM
XX1 shifter, cassette and chain (ok, the GX shifter is lighter than the XX1 by 10g, but… carbon)
Carbon wheels
XTR center lock rotors
Vittoria Mezcal tires (tubeless)
Sram lock on foam grips
XTR pedals (previous gen to save a few grams)
9point8 150mm Fall Line R
X-fusion Bat dropper remote (love this thing)

I know these aren’t 1 to 1 comparisons but I hope it helps,

2 Likes

Love my Blur CC xo1 build. Currently weighs 21.9lbs in a medium with Atomik carbon wheels.

4 Likes