New Wahoo Kickr Trainer V6 2022

Since some people have been complaining about the $1200 to $1300 price change, (and with me guessing inflation was at least partly related here…) I ran some numbers for fun. Basing this all on the $1200 MSRP that was in place on all prior versions (V1-V5):

If we compare to about 2 years ago for something like the Kickr V5:

The one that started it all about 10 years ago, V1:

ETA: Some of the older info I checked showed the Kickr V1 at $1100 for some configurations, so I will add that just to cover that base. I am pretty sure the V2-V5 were set at $1200 MSRP.

By no means are these concrete or conclusive, but it sheds at least some light on the current pricing and how I actually think the $100 increase is more than fair. Include the fact that the V6 is a VERY different trainer from the V1 and I think the picture gets even better for a price to value perspective.

Notably, this is in the vacuum of the Kickr pricing and features over time. Adding in the reality of things like the Neo and other trainers may well alter things a bit. But from a price perspective of just the Kickr, this is at least a little eye opening.

3 Likes

This is like when a customer asks me to negotiate against myself - the price is the price, your call on making the value judgement.

Learning curve, economies of scale, and category leadership suggest the price of the Kickr should have fallen a bit, independent of what I’m posting two paragraphs below.

However companies are reluctant to negotiate against themselves, it takes either competition to do that, or an aggressive leader that cannibalizes its own products in order to own the market and tamp out the competition undercutting attempts.

I’m not an economist but recall that prior to Covid, durable goods were decreasing in cost. The opposite of inflation. So I looked it up.

From the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis:

And a nice picture showing durable goods in blue, and how we were paying less from 2012 up until recently:

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2022/apr/2021-year-high-inflation

The V6 looks nice if you want to support Wahoo. I’m not planning to reward them.

2 Likes

I need to poke around that data, very interesting. But from a seat of the pants reaction, I don’t think we’ve seen price/cost drops as a rule in the cycling world over that DG drop seen elsewhere. There may be some trickle down via tech or function at a given price, but thing like bikes at a general price point sure seemed flat to increasing per my shopping since 2010.

I do remember the Hammer trainer starting at $1200 IIRC and ended up at $1000 in the change to H2 or H3 (not sure without searching). Other brands held flat too I think. I need to research the Neo too, because I don’t remember it’s history.

Main point being that DG changes for things like cars, appliances and such that probably make up the bulk of that data (guessing right now) may be a world different from more niche cycling products that fall into leisure & hobby vs more essential goods, even though they meet the basic definition of DG.

Forget about DG for a moment, and the inflation calculator. I think its the wrong conversation.

As a category leader, 4 years ago we saw Wahoo in a position to leverage their learning curve / economies of scale and rollout the Kickr Core. From a competition theory point-of-view they cannibalized some higher end Kickr sales to the Core, but stopped those sales going to a lower priced direct-drive upstart competitor.

For the sake of argument lets say JetBlack Volt is a Kickr Core. At $500 instead of Wahoo’s $900 Core. The Core’s price is unchanged.

And JetBlack now has Zwift as distribution partner.

Adding WiFi increased the Wahoo Kickr cost by $100, its now a $1300 trainer. Will be interesting to see what Tacx/Garmin does with Neo 2T.

Its really really hard to ignore the $500 Volt. We can debate if its 80% or 90% or 95% of a Kickr, but at the end of the day the Volt for many will be like getting a 60% discount on a Kickr. I like getting 60% discounts.

4 Likes

Yeah, the Volt & Hub at the new $500 price are sure compelling. I need to do a deeper comparison to the Core, but if JB & Z can really deliver on the promises, it will certainly put pressure on Wahoo and Tacx in particular.

1 Like

My biggest knock on a $1300 tool is that if it is dead in 3 years they won’t sell you a circuit board or any other important spare parts besides a belt. If you buy a NordicTrack treadmills or rower, you’ll be able to buy spare parts for years and years plus they will give you the exploded diagram.

2 Likes

Sure, but that applies to any and all of the trainer makers from what I have seen. Neo fixes have been handled by a couple of very smart and helpful individuals, but Tacx & Garmin are nowhere to be seen for that.

Much the same from general bike stuff with items like 10 speed Di2 and early Etap losing support, with them both essentially forcing upgrades. It a legit industry problem on many levels.

I wonder how they get away with it**. Maybe it’s because a rear derailleur or shift lever used to never cost more than a few hundred to replace. But now it seems a little crazy to not be able to repair a $750+ etap/EPS/di2 rear derailleur or $1300 trainer that just stops working for no apparent reason.

**Obviously the answer is because we, as customers, still buy the products. I wonder if any right to repair laws will apply to the bicycle industry.

1 Like

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: New Zwift Hub Smart Trainer

1000% this. Pretty much all smart trainers are disposable if anything other than the belt needs to be replaced. Not selling other basic (and a circuit board is basic) replacement parts is criminal/negligent. Who cares what your ‘carbon footprint’ is if you are deliberately making $1200 smart trainers disposable items.

2 Likes

When they first came out seemed like no part was the same between any model in that the modified all the basic parts. Seems like v5 to v6 is just a circuit board update so easier to have spare parts if the basic parts are the same

Kickr v5 for £899 or v6 for £1099?
What is the real advantage? I train with an iPad 99% of the time and 1% MacBook Pro. I don’t experience any drop outs. I have a v2.

This.

I know that it might not be cheap, but at least give me the option to repair it. I mean, if Apple can do it, Wahoo can do it.

I also have a feeling that its not that damn complicated inside…

If you have no issues, then keep the V2.

If you wanna upgrade, get the V5 :slight_smile:

I cant remember which model where it went more quite, maybe it was from V2 to V3?

1 Like

Can we stick to the discussion of the Kickr V6 and move discussion of the zwift trainer to the existing thread?

5 Likes

Yup, I will move the Hub posts over tomorrow when I get to my PC.

ETA: Just moved the Hub related posts to the appropriate thread. Thanks for the consideration and help keeping topics organized :smiley:

1 Like
  • The change to the ribbed belt, that is the “quiet change” was done from the V3 (2017) to V4 (2018) model.

• There are other notable changes between a V2 and V5/V6 that include the multiple BLE channels, I think the power data precision level improved, and there is the autocalibration too. There are other changes, but I think those may be the standout differences.

1 Like

The odometer function could be interesting. I was watching the serial numbers and ‘made on’ dates of the replacement bikes I got. Having an odometer would be interesting, unless Wahoo’s refurbisher can reset it.

One return box I got looked like it had at least 5 layers of stickers.

I posted on the deals thread but I was able to find a 20% promo already for a store that carries the V6 and put one on order. I’ll be semi bummed when they probably have a much bigger design change next year, but think this will be an appreciable upgrade from my 10 year old gen 1 KICKR. Will post impressions when I get around to setting it up.

2 Likes

I found the v5 on sale at Sigma Sports for £699 and bought it without even thinking. It went up to £799 the day after. Guess got lucky.
Noticeably smoother and quieter than my v2. Given that my v2 was over reading, I am glad to have made the change.

4 Likes