New Wahoo Kickr damaged my 2020 Emonda after just -20 seconds spinning

It’s from screwing the thru axle on believe it or not. Took the paint right off.

That totally sucks, man! Super sorry!

But that is not trainer related right? Trek should really fix that!

Have you seen any damage on the inside of driveside chainstay? I see the driveside adapter also has a litte edge:

On my BMC, the derailleur hanger has an edge/lip(green line) that interfers with the adapter edge, but I believe the Trek derailleur hanger is flat on the inside, meaning the adapter edge will rub against the carbon frame?

I also have a 2020 Emonda but I have a (noisy, 5 year old) Kickr Gen2 and an old 142 adapter kit that uses a QR skewer and that, I’ve read, might do the trick. The pictures of the 142 adapter above are designed for thru-axles, I assume?

IMG_2374
I’m guessing it might work but I haven’t ridden the bike yet and, frankly, I am reluctant to try it.

The other problem I have is disc brake clearance (1-2 mm for the moment) but a friend of mine will machine off a part of the trainer.

Once that’s taken care of, I will try it, very carefully…

Ok, so after one minute of trying without any resistance I found that the 142 adapter had already been chipped.

Good thing I stopped quickly… I didn’t damage the frame

So my answer would be, don’t try the adapter kit with the QR skewer, for the Trek Emonda MY 2020, it probably won’t help.

Looks like they came up with a fix for this… https://bikerumor.com/2021/01/22/wahoo-updates-kickr-bike-with-in-game-steering-plus-new-trainer-adapters-for-trek-cervelo-giant/

1 Like

Thanks, I just updated my original post. This is good news for those who need the special adapters. Turns out, I just needed the axel that came on my bike and to flip the adapter that was in the box. I’m set up and on the Kickr and having a good time with zero issues now.

More from DCRainmaker on the fix