New Wahoo Kickr 5th gen compatibility issues in resistance mode

To be honest I didn’t in the end, when they acknowledged so quickly there was a fault and they were working on it I optimistically thought it would.be a quick fix. Will contact them and make them aware.

It’s interesting, a while back I started moving over to resistance mode for cool downs so I could just cool down more freely.

Once I was doing the double app thing ( trainerroad controlling and zwift just reading power so i can fly by people doing intervals ) and had like 30 seconds left on a segment, but then no matter how hard i spun in my hardest gear I couldn’t get the power back up.

Then when I increased resistance manually ( instead of 20 or 30 percent, was like 50 ) it got SUPER hard in a hurry.

I thought it was a one off, until one day i had trainerroad still open, not in a workout, and then had the exact same behavior until i unplugged my ant stick and shut down trainerroad ( i was doing a freeride in zwift )

Works perfectly in zwift for me, and other apps, I wonder if it’s just a differing behavior of the resistance mode in trainerroad, as opposed to some glitch?

New firmware released today, which is a resistance mode fix of some kind using ant+. Will test it on my ride later, but fingers crossed we have resistance mode back for trainerroad

1 Like

Did the v4.2.2 firmware fix the issue? I have some really strange things going on with my Kickr V5. It keeps letting go of the resistance in resistance mode. ERG seems to work better/fine.

Are there any confirmed cases of the V5 overheating? The flywheel was really warm, not too warm to touch, though… I let it cool for 5 min but it didn’t help. Continued the workout and put the trainer back in ERG mode and after some time it started working ok again.

I have an open issue with Wahoo where Resistance mode doesn’t work correctly from v4.2.2 onwards. Wahoo added Bluetooth FTMS support in that update so Trainerroad tries to use that protocol, but Wahoo have a resistance mode bug when using FTMS.

It basically holds a set level regardless of which gear you’re in, almost like a kind of ERG mode but where you can’t control the power level. And the power levels at which it holds you have vast gaps, so it’s basically unusable unless you happen to want to hold, say 220 watts, or 300 watts, etc. The power it holds you to only changes at each 10% increment that you set in TR. They’ve verified that it’s an issue being worked on and the ticket is open.

In the interrim I downgraded the firmware to v4.2.1, which works fine. I’d recommend anyone connecting via Bluetooth don’t upgrade to v4.2.2.

The other issue is that standard mode disappears when TR connects via FTMS, since Standard mode requires use of the legacy Wahoo protocol instead. That issue only happens in Windows though, the Android beta keeps the legacy connection in place so that Standard mode will still work. Not sure about iOS.

I installed v4.2.2. Good news: Resistance mode now works with ANT+. Bad news: ERG mode no longer works with ANT+. Argh! Can’t Wahoo get this right!?

Whats your setup? I’ve had no problems running ERG mode over Ant+ with my windows 10 PC.

I’m using the latest Android TR app on a Samsung phone with built-in ANT+. ANT+ has always been solid on this phone with previous trainers whereas Bluetooth has been spotty with occasional drop outs.

And what do you know: ERG mode in ANT+ worked today. Hopefully yesterday was just a one-time glitch.

@jazir1979 Just wondering if you’ve had any update on this? Wondering whether to nudge Wahoo myself as I prefer resistance over ERG for things like long steady state and short on-offs, but increasingly frustrated with the current Kickr response!

Hi, no, I’m still on the downgraded firmware. I have an open ticket with Wahoo and they are aware of it, but there hasn’t been any movement on it since the end of March. I’ll prompt them with another email now.

Downgrading to v4.1.2 has worked well for me though, so you may want to consider doing that. Let me know if you don’t know how, it required some trick like tapping the wahoo icon in the app 10 times. There are some threads online with Zwifters who have also had to downgrade.

Hi @ShutUpLegs, I got a response from Wahoo:

“We have fully diagnosed the issue, produced a fix and are currently testing that fix to ensure no undesirable side effects. We should hopefully have a fix released within a month.”

2 Likes

This seems to have magically resolved itself on my KICKR V5. Anyone else no longer having trouble after the most recent trainer road update (using macOS)

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I’d be interested to know if anyone has the same experience on Windows too.

I’m still using the downgraded firmware and am loathe to upgrade since everything is working well. But if I get curious and nobody else has tried it first, I’ll give it a go at some point.

Hrrmmmmmm not sure what kickr firmware I’m on. But it was definitely not working and now it is

Cal Henshaw

1 Like