New Strava Route Builder?

Just playing with the route builder for 5 min I really like it. A huge step up from what it was before. But it is still missing a big thing that RWGPS has and that is the ability to go back and add control points were they weren’t put initially so that you can edit the middle of the route. this lets you make finer adjustments to the roads that it autoselects if you know that you prefer another route than it chooses.

Edit: While I was thinking about it I actually went onto Strava Support and submitted a feature request. If I remember I will post the request here when/if it gets approved so you can comment or vote on it if you want.

3 Likes

I’ve used everything for road riding and motorcycling. My favorite so far is Kurviger. There’s an app for Android (Kurviger) and iPhone (Scenic).

Kurviger uses algorithms to avoid main roads and prefer hills/curves.

I never see it being mentioned in cycling forums.

I promise I’m not just ragging on Strava at this point, but to be clear (I’m not a paid sub and considering it):
So if I do a route from A to B, but prefer a little one-off spot, I can’t just drag the path to my preferred section or detour?

I can’t verify because I don’t have Routes anymore (also not a paid sub), but I remember being able to select and drag in the middle of a route to go around a section or detour

2 Likes

If you can, I haven’t figured out how. You would have to click you start at A, then click on your little off shoot, then click on B. I found it much more intuitive than their previous route builder but I wasn’t able to click on A then click on B and then go back and edit the middle of the route.

EDIT: Scratch what I said above! I was able to click on A then B and then drag the middle of the route to a detour. And when you release the drag it adds another control point. I was previously just trying to click on the route before dragging but that just snaps the end of the ride to there. You have to click and drag without releasing the button.

2 Likes

Haha, okay good. I was about to lose my mind at them. :joy:

1 Like

Haha I was too! So it’s a bit different than how RWGPS works but it seems like it has similar functionality (at least in this respect).

Any word on whether the new Route Builder supports turn by turn directions on Wahoo Elemnt Bolt? I like some of the features on the new Route Builder but that’s the main thing that’s still keeping me on RidewithGPS for the time being.

6 Likes

thanks for sharing, that does look pretty cool

1 Like

Had a bit of a play around, it’s definitely an upgrade on the previous beta, but can’t compete against RwGPS or Komoot yet.

A very often ridden dirt climb near me shows as 100% paved in Strava, Komoot correctly shows it as unpaved.

Yeah I noticed that too. I wonder if there’s a way to submit corrections to the categorizing of roads…

Can anyone confirm if you can do the following?:

Go to someone’s ride, click the three dots, then “create route”. From there, can you actually edit the route? In the past, you weren’t able to edit the route, but Strava would create an overlay on the ride. If you wanted to create a very similar route, you would need to clear the route and then redraw over-top of the existing ride. Not sure if that makes sense, but wondering if the “new” route planning lets you do it now

1 Like

I tested this today in the new builder and was able to edit away fine, after creating the route off a friend’s activity.

Still no ability import a .gpx file though…

1 Like

I think “new” is just the action – ie, start with a fresh map, as opposed to something like “edit/1234” which would bring up an existing saved route.

The funny part is the “?v2=true”. I tried changing it to false and it just redirected me back.

1 Like

As @brettoau said, you can do exactly as you described. It imported my friend’s ride to my route builder and then I was able to drag the route around to make changes just like I had drawn the route myself. Much better than the old route builder!

Where does Komoot get that data from?

OpenStreetMap.

1 Like

Do you guys like this new map for mtb and singletrack riding? I personally hate the new map I cant see the difference between singletrack, dubble track and paved everything looks the same

Is RWGPS still the only service that exports with turn-by-turn directions?

I’ve noticed this as well. You also have to zoom in closer than before to even have trails visible for routing. Overall it seems much better than the prior Route Creator they had and seems to run more smoothly/quicker, but that is a small gripe I have with the update.