🎉🎉🎉 New Product Release! Updated Training Plans, Workout Levels, TrainNow Updates 🎉🎉🎉

Awesome! Did you have to accept the new FTP for it to complete and give you the Progression Levels?

Don’t know if I had to, but I did, because I figured if I didn’t it probably wouldn’t show me, but not really sure.

Thanks for bringing issues to our attention!

Make sure to report those issues to support@trainerroad.com so we can look at the individual/systems-based factors that may be impacting your experience or causing problems. It also helps the team keep track of bugs/issues and their instances so we can better resolve them!

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

So do you need to take a screen grab of those when you’re shown them at the end of the ramp test, or are they always available to go back and review?

(I can’t remember the last time I did a ramp test, but fancy giving this hack a go…)

They appear to be captured in the Ramp Test in your career, so you can see them anytime.

Check to see your most recent one and you may even have them there now.

3 Likes

I was on the calendar after I was done, but I did delete it, so now the only record of it is the screen grab. I’m betting this is unintended for us to be able to see it, and they will probably fix it.

After yesterday’s podcast, I got a new feature into my head. if TSS is so poor of a measure, let’s get it off the career page and the top of the calendar! The type A part of me can’t handle TSS going down until I’ve reached a rest week. Speaking about left/right power balance, Nate said we shouldn’t measure irrelevant stuff. Let’s apply that logic to TSS. What if the weekly TSS accumulation was replaced with a weekly accumulation that just adds up the workout levels. For example, if I did a 4.5 threshold, a 5.2 v02max, and an endurance 4.1, that week’s score would be 13.8. Perhaps the next week would look like 4.8, 5.5, and 4.4, accumulating to a new weekly load of 14.7. In this way, we can still track volume, while using a measurement of effort that has been deemed more accurate.

3 Likes

Issue becomes when you up FTP / retest you’ll likely see a drop in your aggregate level / TSS replacement metric - but suppose same could be said for TSS. Like the idea though.

1 Like

Because doubling the number of training plans from 100 to 200 is not a good product design decision. If you look at the laundry list of ‘nice to have’ features that are requested on the forum, few if any of them make the cut to be implemented (for a variety of reasons.) TR clearly has their resources focused on tasks that they feel will have more impact - AT, new mobile app versions, etc.

Does anyone out there know if any of the World Cup Pro Teams have abandoned FTP, IF, TSS, etc as the basis for planning training programs and assessing training progression?

unfortunately the conversation didn’t properly frame where and when to use TSS and IF, and instead came off as dumping on these well established and useful metrics.

Nate did a small diving catch at the end which I agreed with - thank you Nate! - however the crew’s credibility took a hit in my mind. I’m in technical sales and have been trained to talk out of both sides of my mouth. Or call it diplomacy.

More Nate please!

If I hadn’t listened to Nate, I would be left thinking TSS and IF are crap. And if they are crap why does this:

© 2011-2021 TrainerRoad, LLC. Ver. 16579 — NP, IF and TSS are trademarks of Peaksware, LLC and are used with permission. Learn more at www.trainingpeaks.com."

appear at the bottom of the website? Rhetorical question, no answers please.

:peace_symbol:

1 Like

Is there somewhere that I can find a description/explanation of TR’s Workout Profiles. I searched on the TR site and on Google, but haven’t found one.

1 Like

Nothing I have seen. As of now, you just have to apply a filter and see what you get.

I’d like to see a tooltip or even a mini graph showing what each one means. Right now it’s a bit of guessing game.

1 Like

The plot thickens… no more levels and now some non-Ramp workouts are showing up when I search “ramp”

The Sept 30 2019 workout was originally titled “VO2max - Taylor -2 - TR/530” on Strava/TrainingPeaks. Here it is on the calendar:

The Mar 11 2019 workout was originally titles “Bashful +6 - TrainerRoad” on Strava/TrainingPeaks. Here it is on the calendar:

Not sure how those name changes happened… other than I get to say “Yippe I’m an unofficial beta tester!” (seriously I love testing software).

@IvyAudrain ^^^

2 Likes

I disagree. I think they made clear that these metrics don’t tell the whole story, not that they are useless. They have talked plenty in the past about their usefulness. But they were talking about why people should stop freaking out about lower TSS or odd TSS trends in the new plans. It wasn’t useful to go into depth about when TSS should be used vs not. They only need to explain why workout levels are what they are using for the plans.

For those who didn’t pick up on the difference, TSS and IF are computed only for the entire workout. If you spend the same time at each power level, you will get the same TSS and IF. They don’t care if you did the hard effort all at once, with short little breaks or giant breaks. But your body does care about those breaks.

So @bbarrera, why is pointing that out invalid or bad? Or why is singing the praises of something that people already over emphasize something they should do?

2 Likes

Maybe you could match your outside endurance rides with similar TR workouts.

Perhaps you could just drop everything down a grade. Move your B races to C and you A races to B, with the exception of perhaps your most important A race. We’d count all of these races the pros do as “A” races probably, but perhaps only the Giro or the Tour is their true “A” race.

4 Likes

This is what Xert does with XSS. It takes into account WHEN you did WHAT. So doing 100% FTP for one minute and then 150% FTP for one minute will score differently than if you do those two in the opposite order.

2 Likes

:grin:It was fun while it lasted!

I can delete this mornings ramp test now and head straight out for a ride. :+1:

1 Like

Apparently I’m not the only one that picked up on a certain TSS/IF negative vibe that was coming out to my ears. Am simply saying it started coming across the wrong way to my ears.