New chain issue

I just got my chain replaced (ultegra 10 speed) and on the downstroke pedal drive side, I feel vibration. I can see the chain rythme frequency if u will, change. This translates into vibration felt at the pedal. Not the first time I got a chain changed. Wondering if this is something that may go away after a few hundred km. Anyone experienced something similar or have advice?

Depends how worn out your cassette and chain rings are I suppose. I’ve had only moderate luck getting a new chain to feel good on worn out, or nearly worn out gears. Try a ride or two, but probably time for a chain ring(s) and/or cassette if it doesn’t improve quickly. If the problem is severe, just replace the drive train.

2 Likes

How is the timing of the vibration compared to the pedaling? You should be able to tell if it happens at a fixed point in the cassette, chainring or chain.

Did you check that it’s routed through the derailleur cage correctly? I’ve made that mistake before.

2 Likes

I had that issue and it was the derailleur springing back and the vibration I felt was the derailleur returning to its proper position. It was due to rear derailleur adjustment and fixing my gear adjustment fixed it. Try spinning your pedals slowly by hand and watch the rear derailleur. It happened on the same tooth on the derailleur for me every time and originally I thought I had to get a new cog but after inspecting it thoroughly I couldn’t see any damage and and adjustment fixed it.

Also make sure the pressed pin is seated correctly. If not, that one link can bind up.

1 Like

As in everything to do with bikes it could be a number of things. Firstly check that your joining pin or masterlink is popped in properly.
If the issue happens in a big big gear combo it could be worth checking the chain length as an overly short chain can cause a rough feeling drivetrain.
If it only happens under some load then it is more than likely a worn cassette, jockeys or chainrings that aren’t meshing properly with the fresh chain. If the teeth on any of these appear hooked or are very sharp then they are likely worn and need replacing.
Could also be a simple gear adjustment issue but unlikely if you haven’t touched it since before the new chain and the shifting is fine.
FInally could be as simple as not enough oil/lubricant on the chain, especially if you completely stripped the new chain before fitting.
hope this helps and wasn’t too confusing !

1 Like

If I pedal smoothly, everything seems fine but a little rough. It’s felt mostly at the 5’ o’clock position on the downstrock. You feel it in every gear but most pronounced in big ring. Right now the bike is on a trainer, so I’m sure everything is amplified. Can’t test it outside yet due to snow. Will check everything out that everyone mentioned and call the bike shop also.