Nate's Sweet Potato Bowl recipe or similar recipies?

Did some searching and found this in another thread…
"Poke the sweet potato with a fork
Nuke on potato setting or 5:00 on high for medium SP; OK if it’s undercooked at this point,
Cut open and slice each half with a paring knife so you have a bed of sweet potato cubes
Top with half a can of black beans
Top that with 1 cup or more of frozen broccoli
Top that with pico de Gallo (I even just use medium salsa here sometimes).

Refrigerate in Tupperware and take to work."

But was there a sweet potato, quinoa bowl with black beans recipe also discussed on the podcast years ago?

Like to have grain based bowls (rice usually) for lunch and was thinking about this one lately.

Any decent recipes for healthy lunch bowls?

1 Like

Something I’ll do
When I’m motivated, is roast a sheetpan full of cubed sweet potatoes tossed in some olive oil/salt/pepper/cumin/maybe some smoked paprika or chili powder. Way better than a nuked squishy gross sweet potato imo, and it keeps in the fridge for the better part of the week.

I’ll mix up some bowls using that plus whatever random veggies I have on hand, beans/refried beans, rice, roasted chicken, salsa verde or some sour cream. Basically whatever I have in the fridge.

Sometimes I’ll leave the potatoes a little more bland, and roast lemon pepper chicken, top with hummus or tzatziki, maybe some feta.

3 Likes

Not a bowl per se…

I steam or pressure cook batches of sweet potatoes and keep in the fridge to eat in a variety of ways. Handy to have them pre cooked to avoid microwaving

Like sautéing onion and then adding a sweet potato to the pan to create a hash, then put a couple over easy eggs on top. Common post ride recovery snack for me

I want to say he posted it on Instagram at one point.

How do you pressure cook them? In an instant pot? Never tried that!

Don’t overthink it. Just use the steamer rack and some water, wash them and poke with a fork. High pressure for half an hour

1 Like

Anybody try the sheet pan garbanzo beans Pete talked about a couple years ago?

I love garbonzo’s, but I don’t like the dried ones, like Biena, for example. If you find a recipie that is good, I’d be interested in you sharing.

Make this one several days a week:

Minimum ingredients:

1. Rice,
  2. left over salmon or can of good tuna (I get my tuna from a company called natural catch and it is delicious).
  3. Mayo
  4. Soy sauce (I use tamari because gluten free)
  5. Sriracha (optional for if you like it spicy)
  6. Packet of seaweed snacks or furikake

Extra ingredients to plus it up:

1. Green onion
  2. Japanese barbecue sauce (I am not sure what brand I get, but it tastes similar to sauce that always goes with eel)
  3. Avocado
  4. edamame

Instructions, Typically I mix the mayo, tamari, and sriracha together into one sauce to drizzle over the top but is not necessary. Otherwise just heat up your rice, mix it all together, place dollop of it on a seaweed snack and enjoy. Tastes like sushi.

Another one:

This one is almost too easy and it is so delicious. Could easily make it vegan.

Ingredients:

1. Maesri green curry paste
  2. Can of coconut milk
  3. a white fish of your choosing (swordfish has been my favorite so far, but halibut and black cod have also been very good) (replace with tofu if you want vegetarian/vegan)
  4. cashews/peanuts
  5. green onions
  6. potatoes, cut into bite size chunks (I use fingerling or yukon gold)
  7. Carrots, cut into bite size chunks (carrots are optional)

Put a tablespoon of the green curry paste into a sauce pan*, let it warm up for 10-15 seconds. Add in can of coconut milk, potatoes, carrots (make sure to salt your potatoes and carrots well), and white parts of green onions. Put cover on, let simmer until potatoes and carrots are cooked. Once they are cooked, add in the fish and let it steam for a few minutes. For swordfish, I cut it into small bite size chunks before adding. For other two, I have kept whole. At the same time, add in your cashews and peanuts. I like to top mine with extra chopped peanuts, the green parts of the green onion, and sometimes a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Cilantro also goes well.

I have made this with only the first 3 ingredients and it is still delicious. The rest just really plus it up. I eat this 2-3 times a week.

*You will have a lot of extra curry paste. It lasts a long time in the fridge.

2 Likes

I did, it was good but haven’t made it since. If I was vegetarian maybe that would be different. I ate it with rice for lunch one week and it made a good, healthy, easy lunch

Also, if you are looking for a new grain to make, give farro a try. Highly underutilized grain

2 Likes

Farro is AWESOME! Love the crunch.

1 Like

If you look up “Vegan Buddha Bowls” you can probably find a good recipe. Mine is basically roasted sweet potatoes with cumin and Chile powder, roasted chickpeas with Chile powder and salt, rice, spinach, and tahini sauce of your choosing. Been good for easy meal prep lunches.

1 Like

That sounds delicious

I need someone to cook like this for me.

Sounds like a great thing to do for yourself

I’m busy, reading forums

1 Like

One I got from Nate’s instagram was an air fryer bowl. Quinoa, Cubed sweet potato, cauliflower/broccoli/both, bell pepper, a protein, and seasoning.

1 Like

And Nate always went HEAVY on the seasoning.

Yeah, the seasoning/sauces are usually the difference between something really tasty and… well, brown rice and vegetables. Can be worth seeking out some premade dressings/spice blends that you like for when you don’t have time/can’t be bothered making your own.

Stuff like fresh herbs, lemon juice, chopped nuts/seeds, and pickled or marinated veg are usually great additions too- a bit of fat and acid goes a long way taste-wise. A fried egg on top is usually great too, if that’s your thing.