My Cycling Journey - Complete Beginner

Long time no update!

Sorry for not updating over the last few weeks of the SSBI plan, in the end I felt like the updates didn’t really give much detail because ultimately it’s just me doing the workouts and keeping consistent, which is great but a bit boring. With that said, although I didn’t stick with the updates, I did stick with the training :smiley: So here I am, after six weeks, FTP test to FTP test to give you the results of my training! (so far)

Over the last weeks, I could definitely feel the improvements and got more and more comfortable on the bike. My legs are starting to get a bit of definition too, which feels nice :wink: However I could tell that the targets were a bit low so it wasn’t as effective as it could be. So I’ve been really looking forward to the FTP test, not only to get the training back to a higher level, but also because I really wanted to see if I had made any gains.

So here it is, my test results - Log In to TrainerRoad

152 > 168 = 10% increase

I’m pretty happy with the outcome as I had no expectations going in, I just wanted to give it my all and see what happens, although I felt I had a liiiiiitle bit more in the tank but hey. It’s also cool to see @sweepmoggy and my progress so in line given we’re following a similar plan at the same time!

Now it’s onto SSB II after Christmas and I can’t wait. For the SSB I, I focused mainly on just riding. Making sure I got on the bike and stuck to the plan, without much attention to any of the other aspects like diet, rest, etc. So I can already see so much room for improvement going into the next six weeks. First off, weight. While my sole focus is not to become skinny, I didn’t end up losing any weight during this first stage as I was enjoying the fruits of my labour too much :smiley: So in the next stage I will aim to focus a bit more on my diet, what I’m eating and when.

The second focus for me will be introducing a little bit of strength and conditioning into my week. This is something I haven’t done for a very long time, but would like to begin not only for cycling but also general health.

So yeah, that’s it. 6 weeks down, 10% improvement in FTP and some solid goals for the next 6 weeks. Looking forward to sharing my progress once again for anyone who might find it useful :slight_smile:

5 Likes