My Avg Speed/Distance Can't be Right

MY FTP is 149, my weight is 78.
Did a Baxter-2 with TSS40/41, IF0.63/0.64 and Strava shows my average speed as 10.6km/h.
This is definitely not correct, I know what 10.6km/h feels like.
What could be wrong?

tldr: ā€˜speedā€™ displayed on strava comes from the gear youā€™re pushing + cadence. Edit + set wheelsize

The true distance should be 0 if you think about it.

1 Like

Indoors or outdoors?

Iā€™m going to assume indoors. On a turbo trainer youā€™re doing exactly 0mph.

Honestly though, I wouldnā€™t worry about it. Itā€™s not easy to get an accurate speed inside since there are so many differences to outside.

1 Like

I get it that the distance is ā€œ0ā€ but on a Rouvy ride indoors my speed was quite accurate if I have to guestimate.
Iā€™m not too worried. Wold just prefer a more accurate calculation. a few km/h is not bad but this seemed like 50% off

Thereā€™s really no way to accurately correlate speed / distance with trainerroad or sufferfest type training.

Apps like strava or rouvey will be more accurate as youā€™re riding in a virtual word as it were so theyā€™ve put more development effort towards power vs speed. Even those arenā€™t very accurate though.

I wouldnā€™t worry about the speed figures at all, just concentrate on the power numbers :).

Opening a can of worms but on erg mode Iā€™d even say lower speed is a better thingā€¦

If you want to go faster then go in the big ring on a small gear.
If you want to go slowly then go in the small ring on a big gear.

Net result = zero actual speed.

The only thing you will change is the feeling of inertia, which can be handy but if, after an hourā€™s workout, in amongst all the other numbers it gives you it says you did 15 miles at 20mph then you can safely ignore all that as it is irrelevant.

3 Likes

Depends on the gear you do the workout in. An hour workout in the 34x28 gear is going to show less ā€œdistanceā€ than the same workout done in say your 50x11. Reason being that for each rotation of the crank, the flywheel is going to cover different ā€œdistanceā€ depending on the gear, just like outside

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I should concentrate more on getting my pathetic FRP higher instead of worrying about going ā€œfasterā€ without moving :smile:

4 Likes