Mountain Biking not Recognized by TR as a Discipline

Kinda strange that TR doesn’t list Mountain Biking as a valid Off-Road Discipline for an Event… I get it is called Trainer ROAD - but they have a bunch of “off-road” disciplines except maybe the most common off-road category. Guess I’ll enter Gravel. I know it doesn’t really matter in terms of the plans it produces, but would be nice to be able to select the actual genre of my event…

Eh? Cross Country, enduro, marathon, down hill, short track. All sub genres of mountain biking.

23 Likes

blink

10 Likes

There’s only 2 in that category that AREN’T mountain biking. :grin:

10 Likes

By the way, it absolutely matters with the plans produced. A gravel plan will be quite different to a gravity plan.

3 Likes

AH Got it! Thanks. Makes sense. LOL. I’ll adjust my event to Cross Country

8 Likes

Was this actually a legit question or someone trolling?

7 Likes

The names of the various various MTB subdisciplines are confusing enough that this is a fair question, however it was meant.

6 Likes

@dhaines83 @Wheatstraw53 - unfortunately it was legit. Silly in hindsight. I live and train in Florida and ride road, gravel and “mtb”. Focused on ultra endurance events. There are actually great single-track parks in Florida… But I don’t ride in places where there is DH, I don’t know what Enduro really means (endurance?), the term XC Marathon is new to me… So it was confusing. I’ve done Leadville 100 - but honestly, that is more like a gravel event. So I guess my 100 mile XC single-track type events without a lot of technical stuff (like the Skyway EPIC 100 miler in Alabama) should be called Cross-Country Marathon? Indicating long distance? Thanks!

2 Likes

The closest fit is probably (Cross Country Marathon) for the type of events you’ve listed. It’s what I use for my MTB 100s and XCO race season.

4 Likes

Just Google those terms. You’ll learn a lot about the different types of mtb racing. You’re right though, XC Marathon is your best bet.

2 Likes

I had to figure out what those terms mean too when I began with TR. All at once, a year ago, I went from a “casual trail rider” who didn’t know what watts were to training, racing, watching XC worlds, etc.

2 Likes

Enduro: Like downhill, but you don’t run a single track, you do multiple trails and you add the downhill times up.
Cross country marathon: Longer XC events
Cross Country Olympic: Standard modern XC format. Intense races that last about 1.5-2 hours.
Cyclocross: when the roads suck too much to ride on so roadies take to grassy fields.
Gravel: Roadies without the road.
Gravity: downhill racing.
Short track: Cross country crit

3 Likes

Ah but what about:
Freeride
All Mountain
Trail
Down Country

How could they leave those out?! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome!! Makes sense and helps a lot.

I really hope “gravity” is some sort of genre for extra terrestrial riding. That really would complete the TR portfolio. I have images of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock sat on turbo trainers in a spacesuit.

7 Likes

LOL That is hilarious @Rob

Enduro has to be the least descriptive name relative to what it is for any sport ever. Maybe tiddlywinks. Nah, enduro is worse.

5 Likes

As a guy who rides a Specialized Enduro, I fully agree. Even more confusing if you have ever watched motorcycle Enduro racing.

1 Like

Downhill Racing without Lift Support” just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes