Mineral Spirits for Chains

What type of mineral spirits are you supposed to use on chains?

Not brands but clear vs white.

TIA

I’ve been using clear. Working great. Pour the used spirits into a container and let it settle out. Pour off the clear used spirits and re-use next chain cleaning.

3 Likes

This is an old string so maybe things have changed. I just got back from store with mineral spirits and it’s very white, not clear.

The hardware store said this is the way it is now with Mineral Spirits and environmental laws in the US. Is this true? If, so, can the white mineral spirits work? If this is not true, what brand of mineral spirits are clear and still being sold in the US. Or if you do not have a brand to recommend, what do I need to look for on the label to get "clear mineral spirits?

Thanks!

I use a brand called klean strip mineral spirits

2 Likes

My mineral spirits have always been and continue to be clear… flip flop between brands based on where my wife picks it up (Lowes vs. Ace Hardware) but hasn’t changed in years up to this week. Klean strip is one of them

I think the white version is better environmentally somehow?? I made the mistake of buying it once. I would choose clear if you have a choice.

My daughter is an environmental engineer, I’ll ask her and what I understand is that its about reducing emissions from volatile organic compounds (VOCs). At some point in the last 20 years the California Air Resources Board (CARB) enacted rules that resulted in reformulated mineral spirits (and before that they got rid of methyl ethyl ketones MEKs).

At Home Depot if I give permission for location, I can see the original formula mineral spirits, and they are clearly marked “Not available in California.” So then based on where I live, its “Mineral Spirits - CARB Formula” but if you live in the South Coast Air Quality Management District you can’t buy the CARB formula, you are forced into buying a substitute.

1 Like

Great let us know what she says, thanks

@WindWarrior - so are you saying this modern environmentally friendly Mineral Spirts won’t work and should also use acetone in this case too?

Thanks

I dunno. Tried to find info and came up empty handed.

1 Like

What works well for dissolving oil on old chains. I think either Phil’s Tenacious or chainsaw bar oil was used to lubricate them; it’s quite sticky.

I think I might have found Original Mineral Spirits. . .

No longer called Mineral Spirits. The “green” but truly white stuff is called “odorless Mineral Spirits.” I saw this mentioned in another forum and pointed to a Thinner like this one that says 100% Mineral Spirits. Can someone confirm the label’s meaning of 100% Mineral Spirits is the clear stuff and what we are looking for to clean chains to then wax after. thanks,
M

I chose the white and it works just fine. 3 bottles white mineral spirits one jar alcohol, and I could wipe the chain on a wedding dress without anyone knowing.

2 Likes

Some non-environmentally-friendly “odorless” mineral spirits are clear too. They just have more long chain hydrocarbons and fewer/no aromatics. Paint thinner is normally the full-odor kind, but it’ll work fine. The “green” stuff (which is milky white) appears to be only 40% or less of mineral spirits; I would guess from the complaints that the rest is some sort of water-based solvent. Probably still works to clean a chain but you wouldn’t want to leave it soaking.

1 Like

@cinzanoframepump - I did use the white stuff this weekend b/c that is what the hardware store had, and I guess it worked. It got really clean too. My doubts lie in whether it could truly reached deep into the chain and penetrate to clean out that packed gummed-up factory grease.

I feel from what I am gathering, it will work. On bad chains it may take a little more of it

@iamholland - miraculously I can actually get the denatured alcohol in my state and use that as my last chemical cleaning step before compressor air drying it then throwing the chain in the wax.

All I can say is this… the Klean Strip paint thinner is not available in California

but you can pull up the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) from the Home Depot website https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog/pdfImages/38/38f67187-cf0a-42c7-b0ab-171cb34da1df.pdf

A few snippets:

Ok looks like some nasty nasty chemical hazards. I don’t know what it means and stopped asking my daughter questions after she gave me the same high-level environmental reasons that I posted above.

Anyways the list of hazards goes on and on… Lets skip ahead to the formulation:

Stoddard solvent and Benzene.

Now compare that to the California approved version: https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog/pdfImages/a3/a3c3c710-d521-48a9-b8ec-98b9c73502e6.pdf

with only one hazardous condition listed:

a lot shorter than the real deal. And ingredients:

Well its clearly not the same as the Stoddard solvent + Benzene formulation.

That’s really the only thing I learned on Saturday when looking stuff up.

This is what the SDS states:

I haven’t purchased yet.

1 Like

trade secrets baby, trade secrets on the additional chemicals.

1 Like

Yeah, the MSDS claims it’s a trade secret but the marketing material claims the formulation is “patent pending”. Pick one, Klean Strip. People complain that it separates and that it ruins bristle brushes, so the other 60% is probably water based.

It appears the patent was granted quite a while ago.

Patent #8,257,484, “Microemulsion paint thinner”

A microemulsion paint thinner includes a hydrocarbon solvent, a glycol ether, a carboxylic acid, a base, and water, wherein the carboxylic acid is partially neutralized by the base. A process for thinning oil-based paint includes mixing uncured oil-based paint and the above composition.

The patent describes various particular formulas.

1 Like