Mind over matter

Just came across this article, very interesting:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/12/just-thinking-you-have-poor-endurance-genes-changes-your-body

2 Likes

A thing those “floaty” people have been saying for years.
Now this together with the Wim Hofman research proofs that they were probably right.

The mind is the body and the body is the mind.

1 Like

Grade 2 torn MCL and sucked it the XXXX up and raced 16 more hours…

2 Likes

Just getting into Matt Fitzgerald’s ‘How Bad Do You Want It?’ where he mentions the lab boys testing the muscles of “exhausted” athletes and found that the muscles were not exhausted and could have kept working — it was the athlete thinking they were exhausted & couldn’t continue which made them stop.

Winning is just an easy matter of shutting down the brain’s self-preservation function. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

+1 on HTFU, Grade 3 AC separation (shoulder) and finished my Cat 2 MTB race for another 45 mins to take 5th place! You can see it in action at about the 52:20 of my video:

1 Like

@Captain_Doughnutman , GREAT BOOK!!! I read it this summer and my son just finished it.

2 Likes

If you see on my handlebars above, I have “HW BD”, as a reminder to myself as part of my mantra of How Bad Do You Want It! It’s a must read for any racer.

2 Likes

Also reminds me of the Olympic powerlifter whose coach kept telling him he was lifting less than he actually was, so when he went to lift his PB, he was actually lifting much more…which lead to lifting an Olympic gold medal.

1 Like