Measuring/Estimating TTE (Time To Exhaustion)

I understood it as 95+% of (in your case) your 20-25min power, regardless of how long the intervals are.

Although later in the deck, it talks about intensive aerobic workouts as below, which might give some more clues.

1 Like

ah thanks thats make sense. So i choise my 20-25min power say 305w (290-320) and start with example 3x10min and progressive to 150% TTE

1 Like

Tnx for links. I’m very interested in the mental components of performance and suspect many leave a significant chunk of physical potential not accessed. The old joke that you don’t really know your max sprint power until escaping a rabid dog that wants to eat your leg for lunch.

Yes, sorry I added the word interval into my explanation. That slide was about targeting certain time ranges on the PDC. Regardless of the interval workouts.

Still a question about this…

In your sheet i see 94-105% FTP. My FTP is 290w (so 270-305w). But when i see my PDC at 20-25m it is 305w (so 290-320w). My power at TTE (my PDC at TTE (45min) is 288w.

So do i have to target 94-105% at FTP (290w) or PDC 20-25min (305w)

Target 95-105% of your FTP and progress to 150% of your TTE. In your case - 150% of 45 min will be little over 1h at threshold - so perfectly doable - 3x20@95-100% is not so hard after some riding at threshold. Basically if you concider the brakes between intervals 60 min of threshold is something like 50-55 continous riding at threshold so little above your TTE so you will be able to push your body a little bit to see improvemnt.

Your power at 20-25 min is only a power at 20-25 min. All the targets are related to your FTP.

Thnx @jarsson

Sometimes i reed about target PDC. Othertimes about % of FTP in the zones until FTP (z1,2,3,4a and 4) and above FTP depends on PDC (ilevels) etc.

Yes looking at it again I think @jarsson has it right. I think the earlier slide at 42 minutes which talked about “power at PDC” confused me as it didn’t make clear it meant power at PDC at the point of TTE.

So yeah, basically trying to do 95-105% of 288W and build up the intervals to total 60-70 minutes. If I was you I’d definitely err towards the 95% side of that.

Have you actually ascertained that you can hold 288 for 45 minutes? That might be a good first step before you embark on these intervals, just in case something funny is happening that’s skewing your PDC.

1 Like

Thnx! Yes 9th may i rode 283w over 43min with te last 20min tailwind, zo littlebit tough to keep the power high enough. After 43min i have to stop because traffic.

I will target FTP (290w). Difference like 5w is all in the error margin.

Yes i target more to 95%… so around 275-280

1 Like