Masters training programs?

I see a couple of threads here regarding training programs specifically for Masters. Neither of them seem to give a definitive strategy or indicate whether there’s an alternate path for older athletes on Trainerroad. All of the other programs I’ve worked with in the past (CTS, Trainingpeaks) have programs specifically tailored for athletes over 40, over 50, etc. Typically they are structured as 2 weeks ‘on,’ 1 week ‘off’ as opposed to 3 weeks/1 weeks as prescribed for younger people. It appears that Trainerroad’s programs are 5 weeks/1 week for everyone, which has me a little concerned. Hoping to get a response or link to definitive info directly from the coaches here. I’m working with the Trainerroad programs offered here but am already feeling like I may be overtraining and am not sure how to modify in order to get the recovery I may need while maximizing the benefits of what are otherwise GREAT workouts. Thanks! MG

2 Likes

There are discussions around this area . This one looks relevant

As a 62 year old I do tend to take notice of them. The basic premise is that recovery can take longer and you need a rest period more often

However, as with everything so much is dependant on health and past training history.

It may be that instead of doing a HV plan you move to a Medium plan or drop one of of the recovery rides completely. Only you know your own body.

My thread offers some alternate Work-Recovery week ratios, that are applicable for anyone, but could work well for Masters. It offers a solution recommended by Nate, and a slightly different one that I made based on Nate’s idea.

The above specifically covers Sweet Spot Base compared to the default 5:1 ratio. But the concept could be applied in any Build or Specialty Phase to alter from the 3:1 default. There are guidance notes from Nate on the bottom about the concepts that can be applied to the other phases.

2 Likes

As a 60 year old dude I have some of the same concern. I used Trainingpeaks this year and the 3 on/1 recover plan. I did well and could handle 650 tss in the training weeks. Pushing that out to 5 and 1 might be over the top. Always up for something new. I’ll be following this thread.

5 and 1 is only Base - the Build plans are 3 and 1. However, the advice on the podcasts has always been to tailor it to what can handle, so if 3 and 1 works for you then modify SSB for 3 and 1 (it’s easy with the calendar).

1 Like

Why not just move days around using the calendar to suit your needs? I work in public safety and have to do it all the time for kids, shifts and busy nights with no sleep from either of the aforementioned two

I’m 40. I’ve been through sweet spot base twice now.

SSB2 specifically seems to destroy me. 1st time…I could tell I was fatigued as all hell. Pushed through, ended up getting sick at the start of week 6. Fun :-1:

2nd time, I felt the same fatigue kick in after 3 weeks. Took a full rest week, following week six of the plan, just doing endurance rides. Then resumed the plan where I left off, doing the last 2 weeks of ‘on’ followed by the scheduled recovery week.

Worked great, felt good, and ended up having my single biggest gain from a training block.

3 Likes

This is what I’m learning after years of doing TrainerRoad plans versus having a coach. This is my opinion, no need to try to correct my thinking (not directed anyone in particular). The TR plans have too much VO2max work, I don’t know many folks who can actually stay with the entire plan through SSB1/2, build, specialty, then race a season, 6 months of this level of VO2Max work is a season itself. Again, I’m sure many do get through it, I’ve tried and tried and either lose interest or burn out. Now for the first time I have a coach and it’s a lot more focused on raising my aerobic ceiling than my FTP. Looking back, the TR High Volume plans for SSB seem more suitable, a lot more endurance in the first few months than VO2Max, that makes a lot more sense. For Master athletes, I think there is a huge benefit to raising the aerobic ceiling as high as possible with some specialty work during racing season for the demands of races like crits and CX.

That’s exactly what I am doing (I am 56), focusing on sustained power and endurance rather than those murderous repeated sprints. The low volume build plan was just killing me with those Spanish Needles, and instead I am now doing about 7 hours/500TSS per week with a much longer focus. I actually started doing the 20 minute tests and they are a much more accurate picture of my FTP gains than the one-minute based ones.

1 Like