LSCT HRR = 40. What does that actually mean?

Title says it all. I subtracted my heart rate at the end of the first interval from my heart rate at the end of the third interval. I get 40 but what does that mean?

If youā€™re using the TR version of the LSCT, then it sounds like you may subtracting the wrong value.

Hereā€™s a link to some more information

1 Like

@mancunian so my heart rate was 92, 112 and 132 at the end of each interval. After the 1 minute rest I was back at 90. Without going back and doing the workout again which one was I supposed to subtract from what?

Actually, the workout text should guide you through the process.

At the end of the 3rd Interval, you take note of your final HR. In your case, 132bpm. To me, this sounds very low after 3mins of near-threshold, but I guess weā€™re all different.

At the end of the 3rd Interval you are prompted to sit up, stop pedaling and donā€™t talk. Just do nothing and let your HR drop back down. After 1min of doing nothing, take note of your 1min rested HR. In your case, 90bpm.

Then subtract your 1min rested HR from your final Interval 3 HR. In your case 132-90=42HRR. Bigger HRR = better.

If you do the test regularly, you can use it to track your HRR and use it as a go/no-go for tough workouts. Over time, you may also start to see changes in your final HR at the end of each interval, which would suggest changes in fitness level.

If you want to do a deeper dive, then there are more resources out there

1 Like

Note that the way @chad has implemented this is at 3 constant power levels vs 3 constant HR levels. In the TR way you observe your Heart Rate in response to a power based constant stress versus trying to find the unknown power level to hit a target HR. I think this is a more reliable way to do this test since I think it would have a better signal to noise ratio. If you start to see significant deviations in your HR at the different power levels as well as in the recovery delta then you are likely moving into the under recovered state.

1 Like

@mancunian [quote=ā€œmancunian, post:4, topic:25081ā€]
At the end of the 3rd Interval, you take note of your final HR. In your case, 132bpm. To me, this sounds very low after 3mins of near-threshold, but I guess weā€™re all different.
[/quote]

so should 3 minutes at my ftp of 207 make my heart rate higher? I did my second ramp test yesterday after a week of definitely not eating, resting or hydrating right. I was sluggish all day and didnā€™t even want to ride but did it anyway not feeling fresh. I bumped up to 211 but part of me thinks on a fresh day I could really do much better. I may retest before too long.

Thanks for the reply! helps me understand it without digging too deep!

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not saying that your HR is too low, or should be higher. Just that it seems low to me.

As an example, last time I did the LSCT, my HR at the end of the 3rd Interval was 153bpm, which is ~82% of my max HR. I guess at the end of the day, it all boils down to our individual make up.

You could just start to ride the LSCT once a week and start to gather some data to see how your day-to-day routines and activities affect your HR

I have no idea what is ā€˜rightā€™ or ā€˜wrongā€™ ā€“ but simply that I do the LSCT before about 80% of my workouts, and consistently find 160bpm at the end of the big block and after 1- minute of sitting up with no motion (other than easy backspin to keep the the clock running), Iā€™m around 85-90bpm. I suppose that is an HRR ~ 70bpm. My RHR is around 38bpm. Iā€™m 51 years old and 140#. My functional max is about 172. Beyond that, Iā€™m frankly just a quitter.

It is a ā€œme onlyā€ metric. Isnā€™t good, isnā€™t badā€¦ itā€™s just me. Iā€™ve watched it long enough to know that a HRR which varies more than 10bpm from the norm alerts me to watch it more carefully during the upcoming workout.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys. @mancunian I like @Jack_Russell_Racing am around the 50 years old mark. My max is between 166 and 150 so a heart rate of 132 is pretty close to 80% of my max.

Iā€™ll keep doing the warmup and start tracking my trends!

1 Like