Low Volume + Strength + doms

One other thing is, it’s easy to let “doms” or your “legs” get into your head. It’s an excuse that conveniently lets you out of that hard workout. I’ve come to realize that “legs” is an overrated consideration. After you get going it tends to work itself out and even when i don’t feel like I have the best “legs”, I still have the capability to do the workout. Just yesterday after a big week, I did 2x30 @ 90% even though I didn’t feel great when it started. For the past year or two, I don’t even think about my legs when I start a workout.

3 Likes

I’m in a very similar boat earlier in knee rehab trying to fit in 3 strength sessions each week plus a low-volume sweet spot base. My schedule for the last few weeks has been:

M- Strength AM, TR PM
T- Rest legs (often do upper body or core maintenance)
W- Strength AM, TR PM
Th- Rest legs (upper body/core^)
F- Strength or Plyometrics
Sat- TR longer ride
Sun- Rest or outdoor z1 sanity ride

At this point, my goal is to increase leg strength and symmetry then bike fitness will come back. While ultimately what you are able to do consistently is most important, all the research I can find is that you should do lifting before rides if possible. I want to say there was a TR deep dive on this in episode 341 of the podcast that sticks with me, but also from when Alex & Keegan have detailed their training plans weights come before rides when building (maybe episode 356 from Alex). In short, my understanding is it is important to effectively use the anaerobic systems when lifting, and aerobic when cycling. Cycling will use both and leave the anaerobic systems depleted for lifting, doing the opposite would hurt ultimate output cycling but just ends up being better/more aerobic training. With enough time in between, 4+ hours, effects are probably minimal but if you want a science-backed placebo effect it has worked for me.

Alex or Keegan talked about loving Vo2 in the afternoon after lifting as a great challenge. I’ve only had to do an extra few minutes of warmup when doing SS in the afternoon, otherwise, fatigue/doms doesn’t play a factor in these two a days.

If you’re having trouble with recovery on a schedule like this then I might consider switching your Wed and Thurs and dropping the Thursday ride to tempo or endurance. Also consider dropping your strength volume if it’s affecting your cycling and the bike is your primary focus.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
I think I’ve answered my own question over the last week! I’m reigning the strength right back (body weight, with only a couple of heavy lifts per week) to a level I am 100% certain I can consistently achieve it alongside bike training. Once I am happy this is the case, I will slowly add more weight. Goals wise - I’m really not looking to compete in the short-mid term future (big life changes coming in 9 months!), but I want to be able to hang on the tough group rides with my club mates again at some point and keep up the strength training for all the wider life benefits it accrues. I just don’t enjoy dragging myself through a set of under-overs (eg starlight-2) with my glutes and hams hurting before I’ve even started. Patience and consistency, and enjoyment. Upper body seems ok so I’ll keep that as it is.

1 Like