Low Cadence Training (Compiled Info)

Thank you @bbarrera this articles helps me a lot!

One articel talk about 1:1 work-rest and the other 2:1 work-rest ratio. What is the opinion in this topic about this?

No opinion. Iā€™ve only done the 2:1 work:rest variant and they were easy.

1 Like

A question if I may; I went out on a club ride on Saturday and fell out of the group on the first significant climb - about 5 mins at 6.5% - which took me by surprise. My overall feeling was ā€œno power in my legsā€.

For the last few weeks, my mid week intervals have included 4 x 12mins at temp 3.3wkg at low cadence of 55rpm to build muscle strength and help my climbing. Is this causing a lot of muscular fatigue and may be the cause of my issue? Iā€™m trying to work out if this is a particularly fatiguing drill.

Question: is there a point t to including force rep work if you already have been weight training for some time?

I see force rep work takes about as a precursor to weight training as well as it being an early season activity. If you are already doing regular weight training for legs in the gym, is there much benefit to be had by including force rep work?

Some interesting comments about fatigue resistance in a recent podcast:

Breaks it down as:

• resistance training
  • over-gear work
  • long rides

And examples of different over-gear work.

I use over-gear work all year, along with the other two.

1 Like

Thanks @mcneese.chad, ton of useful information here. I am trying to slide this kind of effort into / around / in place of my thursday threshold effort on ssbmv2. Lucky that I have a couple of 20 minute-ish 5-7% climbs close to home that are perfect for this kind of thing. Definitely riding below threshold and focusing on good form.

@KWcycling I can only provide anecdotal input here. A friend is a track coach whoā€™s spent time working with the French and GB squads. A conversation I had with them a few years ago ā€¦ they said that they had moved some of their weight training sessions into the trackā€™s infield, and their athletes were immediately getting on the bike and following weight efforts with bike efforts, in the hope of getting more specific recruitment.

In a me adding 2 plus 2 and probably getting 5 type of a thing - and tying it in with some of whatā€™s been said on the podcast around strength trainingā€¦Iā€™m taking away most of the straight power benefits for me as an ageing roadie - from weight training come early in the piece as those neural pathways are opened up. After that the benefit that Iā€™m principally concerned with is around knee / body stability deep into longer rides and associated efficiency gains.

Maybe low cadence work sits somewhere on the continuum between dedicated muscular endurance and strength work? I dunno!

2 Likes

Havenā€™t come across it, but it seems to logically fit that it mightā€¦

Is there any evidence to suggest that low cadence work is useful for addressing power imbalances?