Losing fitness, How Cadence Affects Fatigue, Nutrition Hacks & More – Ask a Cycling Coach 201

@Ian Could you get a link to @chad ‘s study?

@chad if you read this please drop it here.

3 Likes

Check me out on Strava for all of them, but something like Truley. That’s the one that I recently did,.

Assuming this is the one?

2 Likes

@chad referring to the nucleus as the brain of the cell :cry:

Great call! I think TR Is awesome but if you can get outside and have a longer endurance ride, it takes a toll off the intensity of sweet spot or higher intensity, while still giving tons of benefits towards becoming a better cyclist. Endurance riding for an endurance sport, well said @bbarrera! If anyone has questions feel free to ask, thanks!

Hi @mstacey. Here’s the study and then the abstract of the mitochondrial study:

Enjoy!

8 Likes

not absolutely necessary, but it’s much more repeatable than so much sweet spot, and will accumulate less stress neurologically on a long enduro ride than lots of sweet spot. Throw them in the mix if you can!

1 Like

This :arrow_up:
The mental stress or cognitive stress of the HV plans is worse than the physical stress. Getting out for long rides on the weekends is a great way to decompress from both life and the weekday workouts :smile: I also found adding a recovery week in the middle helps as well.

1 Like

Papers are interesting. So it’s clear that in mice and a certain species of moth, muscle atrophy is not associated with the loss of myonuclei. It’s reasonable to presume that human muscle works similarly, but the study hasn’t and probably won’t be done. (Muscle biopsies are invasive and painful.). I think deconditioning from a high level of endurance fitness is more multifactorial, with probable (i’m assuming) loss of mitochondria in the muscles, loss or atrophy of capillarization, and possibly cardiac contractility changes. I’m currently involved in an experiment of one to see how long it takes to return to a former level of endurance fitness having spent 8 years off the bike, but still lifting weights and hiking. I’m guessing more than 1 year, hopefully not more than 2 years.

Maybe, but don’t let that hold you back. I picked up cycling at age 40 (42 now). I had 0% cycling or endurance training per se prior to age 40 and I’m pushing up against 4.0 w/kg after 9 months of TR. Yes, an active and competitive endurance youth would possibly have you further along than you are now, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still achieve great things in the years to come!

Vegan cyclist in a breakaway desperately applying some of the tactics/advice given in the podcast to a stronger rider thereby ripping himself apart:

2 Likes

The part he missed was he had to get the whole breakaway to do it. Him trading surges 1:1 with a better surger is just him getting the lactate brain.

1 Like

Next day shipping thanks to Prime.

1 Like

Exactly. If someone truly is stronger you’re screwed unless you can work as a team with people who aren’t your teammates.

1 Like

Just curious - do you use TR in the summer months? It’s going to be really nice next few days where I live, and I’m almost done with SSB LV2, and debating whether to cancel TR for rest of the season and do some combo of outdoor and Velodrome rides.

Maybe @Nate_Pearson has something to announce next week(s?) that could help you… :shushing_face::man_shrugging::exploding_head:?

1 Like

Strava posts and the comments in the first 2 minutes of this weeks podcast point to some fun new stuff on the horizon next week.

2 Likes

Neocell doesn’t make that pomegranate product anymore, at least its no on their web site. With supplements not being regulated its hard to know what can be trusted

What was the recommended dose?

Here is the study for whoever wants to read it over!