Losing fat in a way that enables adequate fueling (older athlete)

Currently doing SSBMV and 6ft 79kgs (12% BF on scales) I’m trying to get back to race weight of 76/77kgs and am struggling.

I’m 49 so fat loss a tad more difficult at my age and am also doing a lot of body weight training (pull ups/press ups etc) I’m also not weight lifting due to gym closure and this has always helped me burn fat.

I am generally quite lean but have some excess stomach and waist fat that I want to lose, I think 2 to 3kgs is doable.

My plan is to add a fasted lazy Mountain-1 every morning, have a normal breakfast (porridge most days) and limit carbs during the day. Fuel the workout 2 hrs before with something suitable, my dilemma is do I fuel during the workout itself?

My rides are in the 1 to 1.5 hr range and I have been taking 1 bottle of beta fuel during them and tbh it feels great but I’m also taking a rego sachet after too.

I’m expecting a bump in ftp after next week’s rest but I have put on some weight during the first block (noticeable waist increase) which mabey water weight from weigh protein or fat, not entirely sure.

Anyone have any suitable advice? I know its a calories in vs calories out equation but I want to finish the plan strong but am really keen to shed the excess fat.

This is completely personal, but I’ve never found the need to use a carb drink during a TR workout that is under 90 min. 320c of Beta Fuel could probably be eliminated, given you likely have enough glycogen on board. Are you taking the Beta Fuel to get ahead of carb-replenishment or because you need it to get through the workout(s)?

What’s your diet like otherwise? This would likely contribute more to your current composition and what you want it to be.

2 Likes

Things I have found to work:

• no sweeteners
  • no processed foods
  • only wholemeal/whole grains
  • no eating after 7pm
  • two a day workouts (inc 1 AR ride)
  • no booze
  • budget the good carbs and don’t worry about fat/protein
6 Likes

Generally pretty healthy (always been the human waste disposal that most roadies are) my weight normally takes care of itself with decent miles most weeks but lockdown has stopped that, I also have to train late (7 ish) so end up eating late.

Tbh I think the betafuel during is to blame but I 100% feel it makes the workouts easier, even if its reduced rpe.

What’s the reason for this? [quote=“simonpem, post:4, topic:36075”]
Tbh I think the betafuel during is to blame but I 100% feel it makes the workouts easier, even if its reduced rpe.
[/quote]

You’re likely burning all of those 320cal off during the workout, so that’s probably less of a concern and if it’s helping with RPE then I wouldn’t stop. You can shave those calories elsewhere.

I would really focus on portion control and eating very clean 95% of the time off the bike and see how that works. I’m 6’4" and usually around 80kg, but have been eating more throughout the day during lockdown and my weight has gone up to 82-84kg. Most body fat accumulated around midsection.

Chronobiology and diurnal energy requirements (unless I have a hard session next day, evening meal will be high quality proteins, bit of fat and some veg - no grains).

Also, n=1 study: if I eat late after 7pm, I find my sleep is disrupted (elevated core temp>poorer recovery).

I’d suggest focusing on protein. At least 20g per meal is required to turn on muscle synthesis. This is all the more important as we age – muscle loss is a huge issue as we age. So best to spread it across multiple meals rather than get too little at breakfast and lunch to meet the threshold, and then way overshoot at dinner. I’d also say protein is generally the most satiating macro, and will hopefully help keep your appetite manageable the rest of the day.

2 Likes

I think you’re focused on cutting calories at the wrong parts of your day. On the bike (and immediately before) is the only time I eat ‘junk’ food because fueling the workout and keeping the RPE down can really help a ton.

If you want to drop the weight I’d adjust the rest of my diet before I adjusted my on-bike nutrition (assuming it is working for you).

I also wouldn’t really focus on burning more calories (adding Lazy Mountain) - I’d look at what you’re eating the rest of the day. Reduce junk food, reduce calorie dense foods. Eating high volume low calorie foods can help you feel full, maintain health, and still stay slightly negative on daily caloric burn.

1 Like

Thanks for this, I dont touch junk either tbh, no sugar and plenty of grains etc, my issue is down to timing and possibly over doing the carbs, I don’t monitor calorie intake tbh and perhaps should start doing this.

I have the mesomorph body type that can put on weight (fat or muscle) quite easily but as I’ve gotten older getting to race weight is proving difficult.

I am also older (46) with a similar height and weight (6’2" and 84kgs). I find it harder to maintain a good weight and have got down to 80kgs with 82kgs as a good target recently.
I dont find I need extra fueling on SSBHV except for the longer workouts which are 2 hours on the weekend. I would normally take 40grams of carbs per hours for these when I get on the bike first thing in the morning.
I also do my shorter work week workouts in the morning fasted and dont take any extra fuel during the 1 hour workouts. The night before I have a low carb meal. Fuel for the work required seems to become more important.

Taking something 2 hours before in addition to normal meals and beta fuel (80grams of carbs) like you do would most likely cause my weight to slowly creep up. I also need to have some longer workouts that are fasted (lower intensity) else my body seems to “forget to burn fat”.

For Build and Specialty a different fueling and diet is required for me since this approach wont work since I start failing to complete workouts.

2 Likes

Blockquote I’d suggest focusing on protein. At least 20g per meal is required to turn on muscle synthesis. This is all the more important as we age – muscle loss is a huge issue as we age. So best to spread it across multiple meals rather than get too little at breakfast and lunch to meet the threshold, and then way overshoot at dinner. I’d also say protein is generally the most satiating macro, and will hopefully help keep your appetite manageable the rest of the day.

This worked for me. I’m same height, 48 and was 81kg last November. Went to a high protien / low carb diet and a traditional plan with long winter Z2 with the first hour fasted. I stuck to the same diet by played with the carbs based on my requirement for intervals.

I’m now 72.5kg. My plan changed slightly to maintain z2 at the weekends for endurance with the sweet spot and threshold intervals midweek for an 8hr race / ftp target in August and I’m maintaining weight if not slightly losing a little every week. The main learning for me was I was on the wrong balance of too much carbs and not enough Z2.

2 Likes

That’s a very significant weight loss. Has your FTP changed at all? How low carbs are having on average and do you have more carbs on harder training days?

I went from about 86 to 82kgs over 6 months last year by doing more running with less carbs. I was following a high volume triathlon plan with lots of modifications. It however made a big dent in my FTP and I went down from about 370 to 340w.

Yep. The prior year had my coach lean me toward “carb heavy” and my weight went up and FTP dropped. This year I’m estimated to be over my highest ever FTP, I’ve a test targeting 4wkg mid August. This year has seen about 5% FTP and 9% w/kg change. For my discipline we also target endurance and sustainable power - a lot of the Z2 plays to the former and the latter is helped by my lower WKG. As evidence by my first 2020 club ride this morning my sustainable power climbing is now competitive rather than weakness.

Carbs now are about 200g per day average, with protein 120g per days average. Over winter it was a 150/150 balance. This only half the story as Timing also played a part e.g. fasted Zone 2 them limited carb introduction to promote fat use, and even now I don’t load carbs too much during the day for evening intervals, I very much start 2hrs before with peanut butter on toast, a gel 5 mins into the warm up and then I may have a bottle 30g carbs on the bike if they are long intervals e.g. 3 x 10mins at Threshold but not if they are short e.g. 3 x 5 mins at threshold.

I just turns out that I can ride well on limited carbs - I’ve just done a 90k club ride on 60g of muesli and 1 gel with a Rego once home. But when I race 4hrs MTB I carb load 48hrs out and used hourly Beta Fuel and feel like I’m turbo charged all of a sudden.

I do other things now also like swap butter for egg mayonaisse in a sandwich to reduce fat and add a tiny bit more protein in consequence.

1 Like

What’s an AR ride?

I’m not the OP but I believe it most often means “active recovery.”

1 Like

Yep

When you say Z2 are you referring to heart rate or power or??

Power.