Looking for some advices from Tacx Neo 2t users

Hi everyone,

I’m going to buy a Tacx Neo 2t, also considering that it seems that this winter there will be no new big entries for what it concerns the highest level of smart trainers. Given that, i would like to know some technical details from Neo 2t users:

• How does it behave in erg mode? Has it a fast responsiveness? Does it have some major or minor bugs ( for example: power dropouts)
  • Again, how is it the power output in erg mode? Stable or erratic? How is it the road feeling, also compared to other upper end smart trainers ( Kickr, Drivo), if anyone has tested them.

Thanks in advance

I’ve been using one for about 2 years I think, maybe less, I think it is fantastic. The slight sway that it allows makes it slightly more comfortable but not a great “road feel.” I only use it for TR so IDK how it does with Zwift cobbles, dirt, etc. Never having to do a spin-down or calibration is really nice. The base is super stable. The power seems to be very accurate. I’ve only used the Wahoo KICKR as a comparison, but I think the responsiveness in terms of ERG resistance is really good. All trainers will struggle a little with responsiveness due to the limitations of measuring power (force x time), but it is at least as good if not better than the KICKR.

1 Like

I’ve been using a Tacx Neo 2 for a couple of years now (the 2T is a slightly improved version but I think mostly the same). I’ve found it absolutely flawless, feels great and seems to be very responsive. It’s worth reading DC Rainmaker’s reviews, at the time I bought mine it was the top-end trainer he recommended most highly.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I have the original Neo, which is almost the same as the Neo 2 and 2T and it still checks every box.

It can lock into whatever power you need it to pretty flawlessly.
It’s pretty responsive on changing power targets.
The virtual flywheel simulating you coasting momentum down when you stop pedaling is pretty neat.
The cobbles/dirt/whatever simulation is a gimmick. You might get a kick out of it.
I’ve dropped it into 1% grade simulation for the last year and it’s basically perfect.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone, i would like to add another question: how does the trainer react at a power level near to your threshold? Does it stress your cardiovascular system in a similar way comparide to outside efforts or does it put more load on your legs than on your heart? How is the cadence at a threshold intensity? Higher, lower or very close to what happens when you ride your bike outdoor?

In erg mode, you choose the cadence and the trainer delivers the resistance needed to hit the power target at that cadence. So if you want to spin and work the heart more you can drive a high cadence, while if you want to grind and work the legs just pick a lower cadence.

In simulation mode, you choose the gearing to vary your cadence the same way you would riding outside.

I don’t know that any of your comments are specific to the Neo 2T, but more indoor cycling in general. This concept has been discussed elsewhere pretty extensively