Looking for cooling fan recommendations

I went through a bunch of fans before landing on the Utilitech 20" high-speed fan, which is currently $45 at Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-20-in-3-Speed-High-Velocity-Fan/475531

I tried the Lasko blower-style fans the TR crew likes so much, but for me, the air stream was way too narrow and would require two. At $80 each, that would be $320 for my wife and me…more than we were willing to spend, not to mention the floor space they’d take up.

The biggest benefit of the Utiltech is the amount of air it pushes. And the wind stream is nice and wide. WIth it right in front of my front wheel, I get just the right amount of air on my face and core. It feels heavy duty so hopefully will last a long time.:crossed_fingers:

The one downside is that it’s probably louder than @pixelcellar would like. It has a low frequency, propeller-like sound, but we can still our entertainment over it. Home Depot has a house-branded version of it, but the power cord is a foot shorter.

I also got this remote outlet kit so we can turn on our fans without getting off the bike. When going into a cold room first thing in the morning, it’s nice being able to warm up for 5–10 minutes before kicking the fans on! :wind_face:

1 Like

I have a couple of these and love them: quiet and enough air to be effective even for 2+hrs of sweet spot work in the summer.

1 Like

I have that same fan and am very disappointed in it. It barley moves more air than the cheap box fans I have. I do have the remote control outlets mentioned above and they are awesome.

If you are looking for cooling fan then Hover is the best option.

I’ve been using the wahoo headwind for two weeks now. It’s really working great. Price tag is a bit hefty though.

2 Likes

Also after similar advice!

I’m in Australia so don’t have Lasko and some of the other recommendations available.

The couple of brands I’ve tried are average at best (Sunair, Nu-Tec)… At this point, it seems like I may just have to bite the bullet and get a vornado

Vornado for sure . . .

Our gym uses them for the treadmills and elliptical and people seem to really like them (the owner sure does and recommended it to me). If you look at CFM, they exceed the Lasko Max Performance. While pricier, they are well worth it particularly given how much time we spend on our bikes and relative to our cycling equipment.

I actually use a dual combo of their smaller one (Vornado 630) aimed at my legs inside of the base of the larger one (Vornado 783 full size) aimed at my upper body:

btw: Perhaps overdoing it, but since I am in my garage with overhead shelving, I also have a Lasko box fan above me aimed on my head and back.

I have the Vornado 660 and its good. However, there are a couple of downsides:

1. It has ‘digital’ power and speed controls so you can’t use a WiFi socket to start and stop it. I just place it on its box pointing up at me where I can reach it.
  2. Even with 550cfm on full power it’s still not enough for when the air temperature is 25C!
2 Likes

I use 3 Honeywell “Vornado copies” (HT-900) next to an open balcony. There’s still some sweat dripping but I don’t feel like my performance is being negatively affected by training indoors (I don’t perform better outside).

I bought a Vornado many years ago, pretty sure it was at Costco. Great fan.

1 Like

I wish I would have paid more attention to this before buying a cheap tower fan. I could probably move more air by just waving the box it came in on myself. Luckily it’s really cold most mornings here so opening the window brings the temps down just fine. I’ll definitely reference this thread before the summer comes and I need a more powerful fan.

3 Likes

From the uk, this 3 speed 18" fan is fantastic, also available as a 20" version.

2 Likes

Centrifugal fans, blower fans, carpet drying fans - these designs are the way to go. Not axial fans, unless you want huge and loud.

There’s a reason wahoo chose this kind of design for their fan. It works the best.

2 Likes

It is ridiculously overpriced but I love my Dyson! Constant laminar airflow, super quiet, no external moving parts, easy to clean and with a remote control.

2 Likes

I use Lasko 2535 52″ Space-Saving Pedestal Tower Fan and I have been thoroughly impressed. It’s not always useful, however; humid nights are a drag no matter how cool it gets outside.

I’ve found that tower fans is a perfect complement to a bedroom window unit and a high velocity floor fan for non-ac living spaces.

While preparing for the holidays I decided to solve a small problem with our setups (two trainers, one fan) and purchased the wahoo. I had to drive more than 100 kms for that; not easy to find one off the shelf with a short notice.

I previously posted on another thread that I really like the Air King. It remains a very good fan.

But…

I ended up ordering the Wahoo Headwind using the 20% discount that CleverTraining provided over Black Friday. While still pricey, this helped a little.

I configured the Headwind to adjust its rate based on my heart rate. It syncs with my Wahoo Tickr heart rate start and you can specify in the Wahoo app the speed and heart rate zones. Once you set this up, you don’t have to reopen the Wahoo app as it seems to remember the settings when using TR (or other apps like Sufferfest).

While I previously would use a couple of fans, I tried using the Headwind by itself and it is all I need. I turn it on at the start and it has a nice low spin. As I start to progress through the workout it just adjusts automatically. During intervals with long rest periods it slows down as the heart rate drops. As soon as I hit the next interval it increases again. The key was setting up the zones and getting the fan speed where I wanted it. The fan is quite a bit quieter than the Air King.

Honestly, I thought I would likely just have the fan on max the whole time and was skeptical about the other modes. However for my the HR mode is really very cool and super useful. Of course its still expensive for a fan, but with how I got it set up I am finding value in it.

8 Likes

Hy,

I think you should go for Dyson Tower Fan.I have been using this fan about 3-4 months & I am totally happy with it.You can also read some reviews on cooling fans from this post https://experthomemakers.com/best-cooling-fans-for-rooms/

What did end up getting? I’m in Aus too, bought a Vornado a couple of weeks ago and it’s pretty good. DJs had the cheapest price when I as shopping, less than JB Hifi even.

1 Like

Also from Australia like @bmcd. I really wanted to buy Vornado as I’ve heard good reviews from cycling friends and written ones online but couldn’t find any for a decent price except 2nd marketplaces (facebook etc…which I didn’t trust). I ended up buying this fan from bunnings which was cheaper $112 AUD and I highly recommend it. It is maybe a 3.5/5 on the noise scale but it literally blows a huge wall of air at you. Use it in tandem with my standard oscillating fan. https://www.bunnings.com.au/dynabreeze-450mm-silver-industrial-floor-fan_p4447810

1 Like