Looking for advice on dropper post for 20 year old MTB

Back in 2018, when I was on vacation with my wife in New Zealand, I did a private MTB tour above Lake Wanaka, including all of the single track “blue stuff” in the Sticky Forest. The MTB was a 29er with a drop post [You can see the bike in the photos]. I did well, except where I needed to navigate around large rocks and around tight trees (with large branches) where I had to walk some of the time. FWIW: It was on this ride that I fell in love with the drop post (and am surprised it has taken me 4 years to finally be motivated to do something about it).

1 Like

A dropper will add value to the bike in the handling department.

But much like how modern tires aren’t going to turn a 1980 steel road bike into a TdF winner, a dropper isn’t going to make that bike a competent descender. Steep head angle, short reach, small wheels, long stem, narrow bars, long list of things working against you. An XC race bike from the past few years will be a better bike WITHOUT a dropper than that bike with one. Let alone a modern trail bike.

I would seriously consider saving the money, and putting it towards a different bike first. A modern trail HARDTAIL would be lightyears better than this bike.

I do TONS of technical singletrack on my 170mm 29" bike. Any arguments about maneuverability are just silly. Only time I see going with the small wheels is if you are small, like my 5’ tall girlfriend. Otherwise just get a 29 or regret it later.

3 Likes

If you are really not gonna get a new bike, might as well add a cheap dropper.
I did the same for my ancient hardtail last year.
Spent some time over at pinkbike’s classifieds and got a barely used KS eten for $62 shipped.
Since all new bikes are internal many people are selling off the old ones.
Don’t spend anywhere near $500 or get the best for that bike.
External should be your only choice. Just ziptie the cable along the frame.

Use a remote made for 2x on the left and it will be fine.

1 Like