Looking for a great bike maintenance / part tracker app

Anyone have one to nominate???

Are there any apps out there that do a good job of helping you track your bike(s)’ and individual parts maintenance history and usage?

Of course I know Strava and others let you assign bike names to rides, but that’s just superficial. I want to be able to keep track (fairly automatically) of things like:

• Usage on individual chain, cassette, chainrings
  • Miles on a set of tires
  • Last time I did a certain maintenance (e.g. even when did I last change my Stages battery, shouldn’t it have lasted a lot longer? :wink: )
  • Etc., etc., etc.

Sounds like a piece of paper would work…

2 Likes

:slight_smile: True. Except for the “fairly automatically” part for starters.

2 Likes

Not really. I mean an app isnt going to know on its own when you replace a chain. You’re going to have to input the maintenance done and the date into the app… which is exactly what you would have to do on a piece of paper.

5/1/2020 bottom bracket replaced
7/18/2020 new chain

Etc etc etc

Not trying to ridicule, but i think you might be overthinking it a touch.

1 Like

But my paper won’t know when I’ve ridden, for how long. Software can get that information automatically and then present it to me in tabulated form.

Dates of actually doing things are universal, yes, and require manual entry whether on paper or electronically (a calendar would suffice as well). It’s everything that flows after that I’m really interested in.

1 Like

I know someone mentioned an app that does this well. I am searching but not finding it yet. It was not a specific thread, but a mention within a different topic, so it’s harder to find.

Edit: a google search turned up this option. That seems to sync from Strava.

5 Likes

Hrmm. It occurred to me this could actually be kinda handy if you have a handful of different bikes that are all ridden regularly.

1 Like

There is a recent BKXC video about how you can do that within Strava. Around 2:20 or so is when he talks about adding components to your bike and the mileage tracking… and how to update when you change the chain/tires/etc.

3 Likes

This thread is making me a bit paranoid about not remembering the last time i checked chain wear on my trainer bike…

1 Like

You can use Strava to track the distance you have ridden with each part on your bike. It doesn’t give option to track how often you have serivced the part but I suppose you could just mark the part as new each time you have serviced it.

1 Like

nah, I find the strava tracking possibilities way too limited. I have only one bike, but three wheelsets and a couple of different casettes. Not possible in strava unless you update your components after each ride. And then you have to remember to write numbers down as strava has the annoying feature of not keeping your parts history except for the part you just replaced…

They should simply allow a set of ‘adjustable components’. e.g., different wheelsets, then for each ride you just tick which one you used…

1 Like

That is essentially what the app I linked offers. You can do wheels and such and apply them to particular rides for accurate tracking of each item.

2 Likes

I can’t even be bothered to assign rides to different bikes!

Just check things now and then, and do a proper service after the season.

1 Like

Thanks for finding that app Chad! One interesting thing - it looks like it’s Free on Android, but same app, same developer is $2.99 for iOS.

1 Like

I’m using Garmin Connect to track stuff:

Wish it would show hours, but it’s free, has just enough features, and is easy to use.

3 Likes

Like @bbarrera I use Garmin native app. Not perfect but does the job.

1 Like

I track a lot of this stuff in my TR calendar. Chain changes including quick link uses. PM batteries, etc. Most anything else is condition based.

I used MainTrack when I was on IOS. No Android app available so I use ProBikeGarage now. Both are free and MainTrack is particularly easy to use.

1 Like

@dbf You may want to look at www.quantifymybike.com. It doesn’t do the maintenance stuff, it’s more focused on component durability tracking. All you need to do is configure when you installed/replaced a component. Rides are automatically imported from Strava, so it’s fairly automatic. When you retire a component you specify if it was worn, damaged or you just felt like it. That’s important for meaningful comparisons. @bbarrera: You can compare based on miles, hours, elevation, rides. And it’s free.

Thanks, looks interesting and plenty of tracking. I’m still happy with the Garmin app’s simple tracking of my tires.

1 Like