Longest day rides

I’ll be there too, good luck!

eat lots. It’s really hard to eat 7,000cals. So sugary snacks all day on top of meals.

Personally, I’d pace it to HR rather than power - eventually your top HR comes down and down to a natural limit - my regular max HR is 195, but I did my entire ride pretty much between 135 and 145.

If you’re dead tired, having a little lie-down is okay and can give you a bit of a boost.

Something I’ve also learned from experience - no new foods on big ride day - your guts won’t be used to it and you’ll get realllyyyyyy gassy, which is uncomfortable when hunched over a bike, to say the least.

1 Like

I’m sure you’l get plenty of advice, mine would be to break it down in to manageable chunks… e.g. 40miles/2 hour ones in which you get off your bike for 5ish minutes and have something to eat. Maybe stop at a store/shop and get your next snacks, eat and go.

Found that revitalises you for next hour and then its count down to next stop.

Also don’t forget to take in the view and enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

@trswem so last year, it was too hot. It was so hot that cyclist stronger than me were tapping out. That being said, start getting your nutrition on check right now. You will need to start hydrating fully about 10 days out. Carb up the 5 days prior. Cascade has a history of putting on a good event. You won’t run out of food on stops. Last year, I was a bit irritated, because we didn’t see one medic (they ride with the group, and are marked as such), but the biggest thing is on a mini stop, they almost ran out of water. Absolute inexcusable. Bring Advil and Tylenol. If a morbidly obese woman can make it in two days, you’ll do just fine. We made it in one day last year. My brother @gb78 and I will be doing this for time this year. Last year he was leading pace lines…not me, I was having bike problems, and my tires were horrendous (touring bike). Let’s see, what else…hydrate hydrate hydrate!!! A list of things to bring that are must haves:

1. Small packets of chamois cream
  2. Travel size bottle of sunscreen
  3. Ibuprofen and Tylenol…buy small ziplock bags from amazon to put in saddle bag
  4. Extra tubes
  5. Buy tube of Nuun (there will be plenty of that and food on all sanctioned stops)
  6. Sunglasses, of course
1 Like

All in one go, no sleep, down time.
The amount of food I ate on this was heroic! However the amount of electrolyte drinks I needed because of the heat ruined my mouth.

3 Likes