Long Term Fitness Progression Graph Request

Maybe you have already reviewed this, but the Training Stress section on the TR website seems like it might suit your needs?

Sadly, this is one of those few features that is only accessible on the web vs the many TR app options, so it is restrictive to a point, but it is useful when you get there.

• This allows scrolling and even a quick preview of the week of interest, which then allows you to open specific events related to the TSS in the numeric chart towards the bottom.

• It also shows your FTP change history, so it’s a quick way to see your progression there in contrast to the TSS history.

• And if you mouse over and hover on a given week, you see a summary of data

You can set a range from 1 to for years, to see longer term trends or a single year.

And my final edit is the official support article and video for this tool (which should have likely been the opening part of this reply :wink: ):

5 Likes

I’m familiar with that chart but in all seriousness it gives me brain aids. So much going on and somehow, it seems to tell little. I also don’t see the significance of week to week TSS as one can add a ton of TSS without improving fitness. My projected TSS from TR from week to week doesn’t build either. Not sure why. I had assumed that there would be an increase of load from week to week but when I check the difference is minimal at best. Also t he’s chart doesn’t show a cumulative progression over the long term so I’m not inspired by say the little diamonds lost in the chart that you pointed out. Actually the first time I’m seeing them. Perhaps because I haven’t been with TR long enough. A line graph linking the diamonds of FTP over time might be cool.

Honestly though. I just prefer the simplicity of the Strava graph. That may be because I’m simple. :joy:

3 Likes

I guess I am confused. The Strava line graph above is nearly identical to the one in the TR TS graph. Sure, there are the green bars with TSS mixed in, but the bottom 1/4 of the Strava graph is that same basic data.

In those two aspects, they show the same info, just in slightly different ways (Strava = separate/stacked, TR = overlapped). Maybe TR could add the option to show one, the other or both with a radio button as one possible improvement to “simplify”.

• That heads down the road of the new refrain “TSS does not equal Fitness” which is what Strava and others using the common related terms (CTL = Fitness, ATL = Fatigue, TSB = Form/Freshness). It’s disputed in some circles and considered misleading to the point that people can fixate on these details to their detriment.
  • This is a question best directed to TR support for review. A “progression” is related directly to the workouts and rides pulled into the data.

• As you can see, I have a decent ramp present in my chart which is following TR plans (Low Vol this season) along with manually added Endurance rides and such. That also includes the results of AT tweaking the plan on my calendar along the way. So if you are not getting trends you expect, TR should be consulted.

I guess asking this in a different way, what metric(s) and/or method of tracking would you like to see that isn’t offered in the Training Stress chart at present? Or do you just want a stripped down version more like the Strava one?

I just find this interesting, because commonly we hear TR users lament how little info is offered in this area and ask for more. More than a few people add things like Training Peaks, WKO, Intervals.icu and the like to get deeper info. TR has insisted on keeping this more bare bones option compared to those, even if it’s a touch more info than the Strava version.

1 Like

Ironically, most people turn to ICU for MORE information. This request seems aimed at getting LESS info than TR’s TS chart at least.

It’s totally possible though, since the ICU charts are fully customizable by the user, for charts and data on display there.

6 Likes

On a related note, it would be interesting to see PLs change over time. I understand they’re perpetually moving up, resetting, moving up, and resetting, but I’d be interested to see where I was last summer at this time, or right before that big race last spring, etc.

Not a priority, but more data to geek out on.

1 Like
1 Like

@AussieRider I’m with you, and the power curve stuff in Strava is really nice too. Add a dash of Sauce to make it even better.

1 Like

I could be wrong but Strava only seems to calculate on long frequent outdoors riding. When I have been doing that in the past the number has been sky high but now I am doing shorter more targeted TR stuff or shorter TTs, whilst I am arguably getting fitter results wise the strava f&f score has went down :joy:

1 Like

I’ll need to check it out. It’s definitely one of those things where you’re not going to able to make everyone happy (not that I’m unhappy!). I’ll take another look at the graph. Maybe I’m not reading it correctly. Thanks. :blush:

2 Likes

TR is a 6 week average, while Strava/TrainingPeaks/Intervals/etc show a weighted (exponential) 7 week average as per the definition of CTL.

Similar but the shape of the CTL/Fitness line will be a bit different versus the line of TR’s 6 week average.

On the fitness score I can see the last 12 months?

its calculated from the daily TSS over 7 6 weeks, using exponential weighting. And then you can show 1 year or 2 years or whatever.

1 Like

It’s an ongoing average of your daily training (TSS load) specifically looking at the last six weeks or 42 days of data points.

Traditionally, CTL is a weighted average of your daily TSS for the last 6 weeks, with greater emphasis placed on more recent workouts. TrainerRoad uses a simplified equivalent calculation, displaying your rolling average TSS from the last 6 weeks with no exponential weighting applied.

So it’s a similar 6 weeks, but a slightly different calc excluding the exponential aspect apparently.

1 Like

you aren’t wrong, for some reason I declared a ‘WindWarrior 6 day’ week and so in that alternate universe it was 7 ‘WindWarrior 6 day’ weeks :rofl:

2 Likes

100%. When I put in more miles my fitness climbs. Now that I’m doing more focused work on TR is dropping. Hence why I said it was inaccurate. It would be nice to see something in the format with a better degree of accuracy. Perhaps that’s just a measure/projection of FTP or a cumulative score of PL’s. I don’t know. Food for thought!

1 Like

I mean having something like this. So you can see the progression over the long term. This crappy example has a recovery week every fourth week. Hence the dip.

2 Likes

Sorry to throw cold water on this but:

I find these fitness graphs tell you little. They base themselves heavily on TSS. It fails heavily when trying to capture anything outside of cycling.

The first portion of this where my “Fitness” is at its best I was doing a triathlon plan sans swims. Due to life constraints I couldn’t get on the bike and just had to stick to lunch runs. I am not going to say the run I have highlighted is fast for me but it is a decent effort and yet my TSS is low continuing to lower my “Fitness”. Not to mention the fact that when calculating TSS it is only looking at pace. It doesn’t have power metrics or any terrain data. Not to mention the physical toll on the body from a run is greater than a road cycling workout at the same effort.

TSS is a relative metric just like everything everyone seems to get hung up on. Someone with a 400 Watt FTP doing the same workout as someone with a 200 Watt FTP will get the same score. I am working to get my weight back under control but overall I would say I am fitter than I was in the peak of this image although my fitness score doesn’t reflect that. I focus on consistently getting my workouts completed more than any fit score.

/Rant

2 Likes

Context is everything. Not literally fitness, CTL is a weighted training load over 6 weeks. Works well to track increases if you do a lot of endurance riding during base, and supplement with a little bit of tempo and sweet spot. And if you are following that model of training, at some point you are going to “draw down” and let CTL decline when switching to more race like preparation.

3 Likes

Mine has been going down since starting specialty. The only time it goes up is in base

I pulled some graphs from my 3 main resources for the past year and shared them for contrast below.

Strava Fitness & Freshness:

TR Training Stress:

• To a degree, I see the green bars in TR as a reasonable “progress” indicator along the lines of your blue step graph. It’s pretty easy to see the increase in TSS from week to week, along with the dips from recovery weeks.

• Each training phase and the results that a person gets with adaptations to their plan from AT will impact the level of steps seen in the green bar graph, but that along with the gray line of the 6 week data is a “trend” indicator that I follow loosely.

Intervals.icu, with my personal settings:

• This has LOTS of options and I have barely scratched the surface. I know others have done far more, but this shows some options to indicate data for tracking.

Many ways to skin the cat, but I think that TR has at least a decent starting point with the current chart implementation. As mentioned, there are other ways to review training progress like the related power curve.

Strava:

TR:

Intervals:

3 Likes