Let's see your Steel builds!

Indeed - steel makes carbon feel fake…

3 Likes

This thread needs to be rated NSFW because it is just straight-up bike pjorn…

Gotta see if I can find a pic of my steel sled,

ETA - found one faster than I expected. 1992 Serotta Colorado II. Custom paint, currently equipped with Campag Chorus 10 Speed w/ DT friction shifters and Cane Creek levers in a mid-2000’s Campag Ergoower shape. Has been equipped with Mavic SSC (BB shell is still champhered for the oh-so-sweet Mavic SSC crank / BB), Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 series and obviously the current stuff. Also had a few Frankenbike component configurations along the way.

Bike fits me to a “T” and I will never get rid of it.

9 Likes

I plan to do more gravel and short bike trips in the coming years so want to get a build together for those type of adventures

Wow!

1 Like

I own five bikes, all of them steel.

Here’s my Stanforth Skyelander 650B Randonneur, made from Kaisei/ Compass OS tubing:

And my Soma Pescadero light tourer, made from Tange Prestige tubing:

8 Likes

Oooh…Tange Prestige. An under-rated tubeset.

Very nice!

1 Like

This is my Pinarello Sestriere. I have another blue one set up on my Turbo but it’s a later model, which oddly has a lot more relaxed geometry and oval top tube. This early model with the old Pinarello logo has no clearance for mudguards, shorter headtube and internal cabling. I love it.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Nice, I have a black and a yellow/golden CdF. The black one is such classic. Upgrading mine at the moment to full Shimano hydraulic disc brakes.

23 Likes

Whoa, that’s a beauty!

2 Likes

No kidding, beauty right there.

2 Likes

17498881_10210289025801032_8174541415664722685_n 17498838_10210289025761031_4627527031292525354_n (1)

12 Likes

Thanks, it sure is!

Interestingly, I recently found out that the geometry of my version is miles away from the current version. My 2014 version appears to be much more race oriented, with the current versions moved towards super endurance. The 2018 version has 5(!) cm extra stack (633mm vs 585mm) and a 3cm longer wheelbase compared to my 2014 version (1063mm vs 1032mm). In fact, my 2014 frame sits in between the the current Volare and Equilibrium frames geometry-wise. I have to say, +1 for my version :partying_face:

2 Likes

This is fantastic :+1:t2::grin:

1 Like

2000 Colnago Tecnos w/ Campy Record 10 drivetrain and Deda stem and seat post. Selle Italia SLR saddle (of course). Fulcrum hoops. Rides like a dream

9 Likes

Tange Prestige - had a Co-Motion single espresso built with some nos prestige pipes. Very nice bike that was. Gifted to a friend who still has it.

1 Like

9 Likes

The 2014 has definitely much less sloping than my 2016 and that looks good.

I used to do fast group rides with my 2014. Luckily those were completely flat. Pro for the 2016 is the third bottle cage which is really useful for bike packing/long rides. I use that bike mostly for gravel racing and bike packing.

Oh, that is SWEET!!

1 Like