Let's see your paincave!

Cant find how to ship to EU :frowning: ( Denmark) ? EDIT: found it

+1 for the remote controlled Vacmaster if you want a Lasko alternative, you can find it on Amazon.

However, I had to return it because it was too powerful for my needs since I train indoors mainly in winter and my pain cave is my attic, where it gets really cold just by leaving the windows open. Also I found the airflow to be too narrow.

Then, I was tempted to buy the Wahoo Headwind but in the end I bought a 30€ remote controlled floor fan and it works great for me, the airflow is broader and it’s powerful enough. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s available outside Italy, but I’ll leave it here if you want to check the specs and find something similar: Ventilatore con telecomando e timer - 40 cm

3 Likes

Just personal preference but, I’d be tempted to turn your setup 90 degrees to the right. I’d kill for a window and some natural light in my garage. Yes, you’ve got your monitor to look at but having that window as well. I’d definitely be utilising that :+1:

Gotta ask, How do you like the trainer in your pic (tacx flux)? I have the same one sitting in a box unused but I am currently using my cycleops fluid 2 trainer. I’m hesitant to make the change-and I don’t know why.

Is it a hassle to pair the unit with trainer road?

I actually bought it used from my brother, and have had absolutely no issues with it.
Very easy to pair, everything just works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, after nearly 2 years in the making (full demo & remodel in this room), I am moved into my new training space.

• CHoP 2.0 (Chad’s House of Pain, version 2, as tagged by my riding partner :wink: )

3 Stations on the main wall.

1. Mine on the left,
  2. My wife’s on the right
  3. “Guest” one in the middle. It’s currently open for strength training, but can get a trainer in minutes for my testing of rockers or a friend to come over (after COVID mess at least).

• Lights are on a remote with dimmer control. So I can start with full light, dim or kill them entirely, and pop them back when done.

• I have easy reach to the extended handles I placed on the fans, so they can be adjusted during the ride.

• The front side fan is ducted to the window so I can open the window, without flooding the whole room. I have to get a bit more ducting to add the one to the top fan. It allows great temp control through the entire season as needed.

Treadmill on the opposite wall, along with closet space and future location of a bench with shoe storage.

Edit to add the final corner.

It has a mini-fridge with various drinks, ride snacks on top (soon), and cleaning supplies handy as well. I also have my Total Gym on the wall when not in use. Just sits in the middle of the room for that work.

I have to hang closet & main doors yet to really finish the setup, but it is fully functional now. Sooo nice with all the space, tons of outlets and works so much better than my old space. After nearly 10 years training in a gradually growing setup, this is my dream room.

56 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

I expected more fans?

3 Likes

Any more info/close up pics of the extended handles you’ve added to the fan and the ducting to the fan/window?

1 Like

Yeah would love to see the window thing in more detail. I’ve had a really bodged venting setup for an AC that I’d like to revisit with something like what you have Chad

1 Like

I don’t have detail pics right now, but will grab them if you guys want. For now, here is a quick description of those mods.

• Handles. I used pliers to pull off the twist knob (carefully yank outward). Then I drilled two holes in the knob. I took some leftover wooden window blind slats, cut a 6" length, drilled two holes matching the ones in the knob, and then screwed that handle onto the knob. Reinstall the knob onto the fan. It’s a simple lever that is oriented for easier reach than the recessed side knobs.

• Ducts. Regular carboard cut and shaped to a detailed window box. I cut holes around 3.5" in the cardboard, ran 4" ducting to the fan and made a custom “box” that ports the ducts into the side pull for the fans.

2 Likes

Congrats, very well done. What size tv’s are those? I’m wanting to get something for my cave but can’t decide on a size

1 Like

Wow! You must really like riding indoors!!

I guess Mrs Chad isn’t a fan of your rocker plates either?

1 Like

Thanks! They are all 40", large enough to give a nice “in the world” feel for Zwift and POV ride videos.

I do like training inside, as a means to improve fitness for riding and racing outside. The extensive setup makes it much more enjoyable. If I am going to be riding here, I want as much out of it as I can get.

My wife has used my rockers, but prefets them set relatively stiff. The Neo flex is good for her preference. She doesn’t ride for more than an hour most of the time.

The water jug with bottle cage is amazing.

1 Like

The garbage cans look like puke buckets :face_vomiting:

You prefer the Kickr or the wife prefer the Neo or did it just work out that way?

The Lasko’s on the back. I’ve never tried cooling from the back like that. Work well/better than say front?

1 Like

What temp do you run that room at Chad? I have all the same ones you have but only can use one little tiny baby fan (only on the intervals) at this time of the year as my garage is around -2 to +3 degrees C

1 Like
  • :rofl:, fortunately… I’ve never needed it for that.
  • I have it up high for easy reach. Missing the garbage with wrappers and peels just bugs me to no end :wink: Having it attached to the side stand is also convenient for when I have to move stuff around.
  • I love both trainers. My main reason for keeping the Kickr right now is my infatuation with the InsideRide E-Flex. That base unit, along with my front end mods makes it the best indoor experience I have had. It gives almost the same feel as riding motion rollers, without the same need to keep located on the rollers, and just enough support to make super hard efforts more manageable.

• I have a DIY hack I am ready to test, that takes the Neo at the rear, and allows me to use the E-Flex front. I plan to test it soon and if it works, it gives me the option to run a Neo and my modified E-Flex, which would be awesome.

• I can’t say enough good things about the rear fan. Our back is a HUGE heat sink and surface area. I think it may actually work better than either of my front fans on their own (only top front or only side front).

• Both of the fronts together are good for hitting my head and full torso. Either alone leaves me a bit lacking if they were the only ones I used for the harder workouts.

• The rear has some great features. The angle I have hits me starting at the waist, and flows all the way up my back, to my neck and finally the back of my head. It has LOTS of area for flow compared to either front fan.

• Additionally, it hits my shorts during my standing efforts, which aids cooling as well. But it also reduces sweat buildup in my shorts, which reduces some of the risk of saddle sores that can come from excessive moisture.

• I usually wait to turn it on until I get to my first work interval. When I do, it is a massive feeling of relief as the sweat on my back immediately begins to work far better than without the airflow.

I recommend that people give a rear fan a real shot. Especially so with a proper blower. This helps control flow and doesn’t lead to the conflicting air flow that people commonly expect to be a problem.

My placement took a while to fine tune, but the front and rear fans really don’t hurt each other. The combined effect is as close as you can get to outside swirl without an even more insane number of fans and the increased noise that would bring.

6 Likes
  • The room is usually 70-72F [21-22C] through the day, since it is our basement.
  • When I open the window, and pull the air in via the fans, I get that down to around 66-68F [19-20C]

At the temps you mention, I would use these on low for sure, and only mix as needed. Probably even cycle them on/off through a workout with that cool of a base temp.