Let's see your paincave!

I don’t have detail pics right now, but will grab them if you guys want. For now, here is a quick description of those mods.

  • Handles. I used pliers to pull off the twist knob (carefully yank outward). Then I drilled two holes in the knob. I took some leftover wooden window blind slats, cut a 6" length, drilled two holes matching the ones in the knob, and then screwed that handle onto the knob. Reinstall the knob onto the fan. It’s a simple lever that is oriented for easier reach than the recessed side knobs.

  • Ducts. Regular carboard cut and shaped to a detailed window box. I cut holes around 3.5" in the cardboard, ran 4" ducting to the fan and made a custom “box” that ports the ducts into the side pull for the fans.

Congrats, very well done. What size tv’s are those? I’m wanting to get something for my cave but can’t decide on a size

Wow! You must really like riding indoors!!

I guess Mrs Chad isn’t a fan of your rocker plates either?

Thanks! They are all 40", large enough to give a nice “in the world” feel for Zwift and POV ride videos.

I do like training inside, as a means to improve fitness for riding and racing outside. The extensive setup makes it much more enjoyable. If I am going to be riding here, I want as much out of it as I can get.

My wife has used my rockers, but prefets them set relatively stiff. The Neo flex is good for her preference. She doesn’t ride for more than an hour most of the time.

The water jug with bottle cage is amazing.

The garbage cans look like puke buckets :face_vomiting:

You prefer the Kickr or the wife prefer the Neo or did it just work out that way?

The Lasko’s on the back. I’ve never tried cooling from the back like that. Work well/better than say front?

What temp do you run that room at Chad? I have all the same ones you have but only can use one little tiny baby fan (only on the intervals) at this time of the year as my garage is around -2 to +3 degrees C

  • :rofl:, fortunately… I’ve never needed it for that.
  • I have it up high for easy reach. Missing the garbage with wrappers and peels just bugs me to no end :wink: Having it attached to the side stand is also convenient for when I have to move stuff around.
  • I love both trainers. My main reason for keeping the Kickr right now is my infatuation with the InsideRide E-Flex. That base unit, along with my front end mods makes it the best indoor experience I have had. It gives almost the same feel as riding motion rollers, without the same need to keep located on the rollers, and just enough support to make super hard efforts more manageable.

  • I have a DIY hack I am ready to test, that takes the Neo at the rear, and allows me to use the E-Flex front. I plan to test it soon and if it works, it gives me the option to run a Neo and my modified E-Flex, which would be awesome.

  • I can’t say enough good things about the rear fan. Our back is a HUGE heat sink and surface area. I think it may actually work better than either of my front fans on their own (only top front or only side front).

  • Both of the fronts together are good for hitting my head and full torso. Either alone leaves me a bit lacking if they were the only ones I used for the harder workouts.

  • The rear has some great features. The angle I have hits me starting at the waist, and flows all the way up my back, to my neck and finally the back of my head. It has LOTS of area for flow compared to either front fan.

  • Additionally, it hits my shorts during my standing efforts, which aids cooling as well. But it also reduces sweat buildup in my shorts, which reduces some of the risk of saddle sores that can come from excessive moisture.

  • I usually wait to turn it on until I get to my first work interval. When I do, it is a massive feeling of relief as the sweat on my back immediately begins to work far better than without the airflow.

I recommend that people give a rear fan a real shot. Especially so with a proper blower. This helps control flow and doesn’t lead to the conflicting air flow that people commonly expect to be a problem.

My placement took a while to fine tune, but the front and rear fans really don’t hurt each other. The combined effect is as close as you can get to outside swirl without an even more insane number of fans and the increased noise that would bring.

  • The room is usually 70-72F [21-22C] through the day, since it is our basement.
  • When I open the window, and pull the air in via the fans, I get that down to around 66-68F [19-20C]

At the temps you mention, I would use these on low for sure, and only mix as needed. Probably even cycle them on/off through a workout with that cool of a base temp.

@mcarr & @hubcyclist, here are pics of the window ducting.

Window closed: Box sits there and stays in place when not in use.

Window open: This keeps most outside air from sneaking into the room, other than through the ducting. The actual window latch locks on the ducting box for better retention and to hold the window open.

Lower duct to side fan:

Internal look at duct hole and retention: You can also see the precut side hole, that I will port to the top center fan soon.

Fan duct box, front view:

Fan duct box, side view: The box effectively covers about 75% of the fan intake, so I get most air through the ducting, but some right from the room too.

Fan duct box, internal view:

I didn’t get the lever pics yet, but will try to get those soon.

Lol… Fantastic, awesome.

Great ingenuity

Redneck engineering at it’s finest :wink:

  • (Cardboard and tape are well used in many of my hacks.)

Wow! That’s a hot summers day where i live. Yes i usually turn my fans off in between most intervals, even then, the sweat gets really cold, its not a pleasant feeling. Annoyingly, i tried a baselayer a few weeks ago and was overheating on intervals (unnecessarily higher heart rate) while still being very cold between intervals

I have done a few workouts in a super cold garage. Freeze with layers to start, and then super hot 15 mins later without any fans running. It takes some effort to control core temp with ambient temp that cool. I would probably ride with a regular jersey that has full length zipper. Closed for warmup and between intervals. Full open and flying for work intervals. Then toggle through fan use coupled with that.

My state is taking a regularly comfortable room temp and trying to keep heat (and humidity) gain to a minimum. Pulling cool air from the window helps above the many fans for sure in my case. Without the window air, I can kick it up 5*F in an hour (and 10% or more gain in humidity). That was mainly in my older space that was half the size. But I suspect I can hit similar gains even in this larger space.

Anyone have cost effective ways to display jerseys on the wall in the pain cave? Obviously thumb tacks work but open to other options!

Thanks

:slight_smile:

Well done.

Thanks so much! It is a nice upgrade and great space to workout now.

3M Command sticker stuff is a no-damage way to hold stuff. LOTS of hanger options and weight classes to chose from as well.

Side view, fan off:

Side view, fan on 1 (low):

Outside lever mod detail:

Inside lever mod detail: