Legacy Pricing Update

Thanks for such a great product and for the transparency.

As a customer since maybe 2014, the option for a 15% discount on pricing is more than reasonable.

7 Likes

Gracefully done, genuinely appreciate you keeping your promise despite the economic realities now looking very different. Thank you.

From my perspective, I love the legacy pricing I’m locked in at but realistically I realise that it can’t go on for ever if I want a sustainable product that can continue to invest and flourish. Happy to pay more but take a discount that recognises my loyalty.

16 Likes

Well that’s given me something to think about. I don’t use the plans nor the adaptive training, I’ve even stopped using the workout player as I prefer the Xert one. I listen to the podcast every week but that is really their main marketing tool so it doesn’t really count in my subscription. The only thing I use TR for now is basically the automatic FTP assessment. I’ve always regarded my subscription as a bit of a donation to a non VC financed company. I haven’t a clue what to do. Decision time in February

7 Likes

I am no longer a TR customer (for different reasons than price) but I also work with information technology.

Nates original promise was - as he also seem to indicate himself - a bit naïve. But I am quite impressed that they stuck to that promise for so long. Can’t remember having seen anything like that within the SaaS space. Especially given the big expansion of functionality in the platform.

I also think the situation has changed quite dramatically the last few years. We have f.ex. taken for decades taken for granted that the cost of computing and storing data would fall over time. This is not the case right now. Cloud computing costs have increasing fairly rapidly due to spiralling energy costs and supply chain interruptions.

I would assume that TR is cloud hosted and have seen cloud computing and storage cost increase rapidly. As TR expands into ML and other analytical capabilities the cost of computing is probably not negligible.

So I totally understand their situation. I also still consider the product competitive at the non-discounted price. Will people leave TR in droves? I doubt it. But perhaps the biggest risk with the price increase might be people deciding to skip/pause their TR subscription in summer months when some are probably riding mostly outside.

9 Likes

You have a great product, but it can always be better. Charge the same fee across the board so you can hire more staff to make the product better for all users. People think nothing of spending thousands on bikes, kit, and races, in comparison $19.99/Month for TR is a drop in the bucket.

5 Likes

Important to point out that this is opt-out and not a price increase across the board. Legacy pricing athletes can stay at their legacy pricing rate if they wish. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I have used TR since it was in beta and currently pay only $7 each month. If I do not do anything, I will be charged $19 each month starting from the next month. Did I get it right?

3 Likes

Yes. But you have a year to opt-out and keep your $7/mo pricing, and we’ll refund you the difference.

10 Likes

Is the 15% discount locked on the current price “forever” or does it automatically update if/when prices go up again?

The 15% discount applies to whatever the current price is. So if we were to do a price raise, you’d be paying 15% less than whatever the new price would be.

12 Likes

This was a very thoughtful way to cut through the Gordian knot. Lots of tech companies have massive layoffs and who is served by TR either no longer being financially viable and/or having to cut back on support or development?

Just to keep up with inflation, TR would have had to raise prices from $7 to $9.38 per month. TR has had great customer service, the service reps really know the product and the sport we all love.

PS I would love some merch. I know this wouldn’t really make a lot of bank, but still. I bought myself and my s.o. a hoodie, socks and matching t-shirts from Rotor. I like that company, too, and the items were not even expensive despite being high quality items. @Nate_Pearson throw the community a bone :grinning: if TR offered quality bobs for a reasonable price, I’d get one. T-shirts would be an instabil, too.

13 Likes

We’ve got plenty on our plates as a software company :smile: . There are lots of “hidden” costs that add up with merch when it isn’t your primary business, and we need all resources dedicated to making a constantly improving product that makes you faster.

That said, we SO appreciate that all of you are willing to rep the brand. Best thing you could do is share the app and podcast with other people. That’s much, much more valuable than buying merch :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Makes sense. How about a run of t-shirts once a year? I’m paying more now and I want my money’s worth! :wink::upside_down_face::grin:

10 Likes

First, I’d like to say that @Nate_Pearson has done a great job with the platform and with the messaging regarding this price change. Kudos to you and the team.

This is, however, a tough one. I’ve been on the platform consistently for just almost 10 years and am paying $99 annually. Yes, that’s a good deal. The current price of $189 discounted by 15% to about $160 is, admittedly, something I can afford but it is still a 60% increase over what I am paying today. As I sit here and type and compose my thoughts maybe I feel like the loyalty discount could be larger for really long term users. I dunno. I’ve not tried competitive platforms but at $160/year it puts the price point near theirs so maybe worth a shot. I’m not complaining, just talking out loud and sharing because I know the awesome TR team listens.

11 Likes

This is too generous. I hope people don’t take advantage of this and just pay what’s right for a good product. Personally, I’d rather you guys have the funds to further develop the software.

10 Likes

As I see it, this is a benefit of the price hike: TR is subject to stronger competition, and that can be beneficial for all of us, even those who use a competitor.

4 Likes

Right now you’re effectively paying $8.25/month. If you did the 15% discount your effective rate would be $13.33/month.

So the difference is $5.08/month. If you’re not feeling it, no worries, you’ll still be treated just the same if you stick with the legacy price.

13 Likes

Yep, noted and appreciated. I’ve just got some thinking to do. As a huge TR fan I am actually good with paying a bit more. When you annualize it, it just feels more I guess. :slight_smile: Thanks again, Nate.

4 Likes

Same postion as me, however $160 is still great value in my opinion. Thanks Nate :+1:

11 Likes

I have loved using TR. I have also been fortunate to see great success from using TR. I have seen the product grow and get the better year over year. I will gladly pay 20 bucks a month. I still think this is such a small price compared to a coach.

5 Likes