Legacy Pricing of TR

They sent me a replacement flywheel for mine even though I never had issues with the old ones. I was still using my Computrainer until early this year. It really is a solid bit of kit. I still have it lying around if my NEO or KICKR dies.

On topic: if I’m on $12/m from 2017 and “cancel” will I restart at $12/m or the new $20/m pricing?

I don’t know becuase I am new here (so interested in this legacy pricing) , but a post from another thread

If you cancel and rejoin it will be regular price.

I’m still on 99$ a month and I’ve always been in the “I’d pay more for TR” camp. With the USD being valued so much higher now, my TR cost just went up 30% because of the new exchange rate for my currency. Not sure where I stand anymore.

TR legacy pricing users sure do love to mention they’d happily pay more, while clearly having no intention of moving off their legacy pricing :grinning:

5 Likes

Why does this start to sound like people are more concerned that other people are paying less than them, not what they themselves are paying? Like envy.

What anyone else is paying doesn’t affect your bank account or make you slower, so don’t worry about it.

8 Likes

The way it works is that if someone pays less than me for the same product, and also has a fixed price that will never be regulated, I will pay more to compensate for the loss the seller has on the lower price. That will affect my bank account.

8 Likes

On the opposite side I (and others) have been giving TR my money for many years without a break, it has paid for all the nice features, not available back then (calender, AT, AIT FTP, outside workouts, etc) you now enjoy.

15 Likes

I don’t feel that how software development works, you paid to use the service, you weren’t investing in the company or giving them the thousands that it would take to develop something like AT, their lunch video says they were developing it 3 years since the launch, 2 years ago, so thats about a quarter million GBP in wages for one senior developer alone, let alone over heads, 10 years @ $99 = about one weeks senior develper wages, less the price of the screen on the development machine that I am typing this on

All the time you were “investing” you were drawing money out, they had to hoast the software so you could use it, pay for cloud services, water fee, you paid to use the service, how TR decided to use that money is up to them

Much like I didn’t sponser Brad Wiggins and Chris Froome winning the tour, because I have Sky TV

5 Likes

I totally agree, and it’s fairly normal in business for different companies to negotiate different amount for the same service, but when they start brandishing how much they pay, you can’t be supprised when other comanies (in this case people) come back and demand the same service / level of discount. As far as I can see (as a newbie here) If i subscribe not only will I pay more for the same service per month, after (about) 5 years, I will pay more in total, and there is no way for me to negotiate a lower fee

As somebody looking to subscribe

It’s interesting that a long time user, doesn’t feel that paying half what I will be paying, doubts it is worth it, evern though

Do you have anything to offer the group? You’ve been here 20 days and made 22 of 22 posts about why you don’t think the price of this service is fair. You may get more value out of the service if you contribute something of value yourself.

13 Likes

Of course you are correct, I wasn’t “investing” in the company and my $99 per year likely didn’t cover the coffee bill, I was speaking in general terms.

I (and I guess many others) kept our subscription during injuries, summer period (there were no outside workouts back then…) allowing TR a steady income stream to “invest” in future features.

I know it’s a sensitive subject, and different for most people, but at $3.7 ish per week I still think it’s good value compared to anything else I purchase cycle related.

11 Likes

So I have to pay for it and contribute to the forum ? for the TR software to work ?and not have an opinon ?

Have I actually said that ? I’ve said my opinion, but

1 Like
  • Not at all. The forum is free and open to all users, TR subscribers or not.

But color me a bit confused on your status with respect to your first comment on the forum:

• I may have mistakenly read the “I’ve just joined, and not convinced I am staying.” aspect as you actually becoming a paying subscriber to the TR service. But your next sentence on price there sheds doubt on my initial conclusion (can’t afford…).

• Not really a point of concern and it’s definitely not a requirement to pay to be here and comment on the forum. But understanding the many views shared here can be informed with greater context as to whether you are a paid user or not, especially when the topic of interest is pricing.

4 Likes

The Legacy pricing was broght up in the thread you just linked, and this thread is in the forum, just read them,

The full quote is

189 being pay for the year up front

OK, that makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

$20 pm, hence the benefit of legacy pricing to TR is it makes it more likely for customers to stay subscribed even when not using it so much.

3 Likes

Legacy Pricing is a smart strategy to try to level load the income coming in to TR. Unfortunately, cycling is a seasonal sport which (like other industries) leads to fluctuations on usage and therefore income. For instance, we can expect that there are more people cycling indoors in the off-season (winter) than in the summer, therefore likely there are more subscribers in the winter than in the summer. This is true for all indoor cycling companies but its effect is highly dependent on the geographic location of its user base. For example, if you had equal amount of users in North and South hemispheres, perhaps the people who suspend their subscription on the summer would cancel each other, but this is definitely not the case for TR.

There are multiple ways to handle this and different companies choose to level load their income differently.

• Fixed yearly price - This is what Flobikes does. Everyone must pay $150 per year even though you might really care about content when the ground tours or world races are on. No way to pay by month. One can argue this is the worst price for the consumer.

• Monthly Price with no contract - This is what Zwift does. Everyone pays the same but you can cancel at any time. The consumer decides when they want to pay or not pay depending on their need.

• Monthly Price with a contract - This is what Phone companies do. Everyone pays “about” the same but you must stay with them a minimum of X number of months. This eliminates consumer flexibility.

• Negotiated Pricing - This is where you negotiate a cheaper price if you pay for more time. TR does this in the sense of you get a discount if you pay for a year rather than monthly. Lots of companies do this. This gives options to the consumer and level loads income for the company.

• Rewarded price - This is the so called legacy pricing in which the longer you say the more benefits you get. The idea is that the people who have been most loyal to your brand should get rewarded while also setting a barrier to you leaving by implementing a leave-and-lose it reward. TR does this and so do some insurance companies. It eliminates competition from other companies taking your subscribers, it rewards your loyal customers and it level loads your income for years!

In the end, the company decides which way it wants to try to level load its income so that it can pay its bills. Bills get paid monthly regardless of number of subscribers so it is important to have a steady income.

Finally, the idea that because some people (not me by the way) pay less than me therefore I am footing their bill, is not accurate. If you didnt have a way to steady or level load your income, then everything gets more expensive for TR and more expensive for us in the end. The best thing for any company that is growing is to have predictable steady income. This is how you can hire talent, get loans, know where to invest and what to invest on.

5 Likes

I’m a legacy “user”. I think TR should keep the legacy price but charge an “upgrade” fee for major software enhancements. This is what software companies do. Typically charge a reduced rate for current users, but still get charged a one time upgrade fee.

1 Like
  • That is an unnecessary and prejudicial take on people using a system openly offered from Nate & TR. Not a fair broad assessment at all IMO.
  • Holy straw man argument, Batman! That is totally over the line and beyond hyperbole. I’d recommend you remove that from your comment as it bears nothing even close to the situation in play here.
22 Likes