Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

What I mean is the people I’ve tested, their MLSS at certain times of year match up well with their on road (or on trainer) FTP results and at other times their FTP is lower than what their physiologic MLSS is. Suggesting that they are riding at a lower FTP than the individual’s physiology, as defined by an MLSS test, would suggest. So, if people use a definition that MLSS = FTP then at times when their FTP is much different from what the MLSS suggests, they are potentially underperforming.

For myself and these test subjects, we use long tests (20 min) and 40 km TTs to define “FTP”. So not some short test that can under or over report.

I was very surprised to get that result for myself. I was not training well for a long period due to a serious injury. When I did an MLSS the result was bang on where it should have been based on my 40km results from just before the injury. I was then even more surprised to see the same result on several of my pals.

One guy, despite being redlined mentally, actually never went over his MLSS in the test but could not pedal harder. I’d always suspected he failed mentally before physically. At least based on what I thought he should be able to do in races (really good friend).

I don’t want to make a big deal out of this and I have a very limited set of data (but more than most probably). My big take, for myself, was that my FTP potential, as defined by MLSS was something I was hitting and it didn’t move much based on different training. My internet in sharing is to better understand the data and, of course, find a way to push it up :slight_smile:

Yes. Here is the thread: Lactate Testing - Data and Results

I’d love to have someone stick me so I didn’t have to do the on/off thing, but it seems good enough and my results are consistent with 10+ years of power data and various FTP and other power tests.

Again… not claiming to have this perfectly sorted and hope you guys enjoy the data and discussion!!

Testing cost, excluding the meter is about 20-25 bucks per session. Given what a lot of us spend on this hobby, its not that much of an expense.

Mark

2 Likes