Kickr Bike V1, long term reviews?

I switched from erg to standard for my workout today and it seemed to work fine. When I got to an interval I could either speed up my cadence or keep the cadence the same and shift the bike to hit the power goal

2 Likes

Weird. Iā€™ve got to get this figured out. ERG mode is great, but Iā€™d like to have the ability to switch.

Has anyone tried the kickr axis feet on the bike? I wondering if it will give a little more flex as im finding it quite stiff when coming from a neo 2T which was a good deal of flex in it.

The rest of the bike i am loving!

Iā€™m running SQLab saddles on all my bikes and using the ā€œactiveā€ models on my gravel and XC bikes. These have a rubber insert that allows the saddle to flex a little side to side as you peddle. Itā€™s not really noticeable riding other than being very comfortable.

I ended up putting the same saddle on my KICKR Bike and Iā€™m wondering if this is why Iā€™m not having any issues with discomfort moving from a TACX Neo that was on a MP1 platform. On that bike I had an SQLab saddle as well, but not an ā€œactiveā€ model. I was expecting the KICKR Bike to be a lot more uncomfortable but even just on the floor itā€™s been great, so I think have a saddle with some give really makes a difference. Iā€™ve got about 600 miles so far on the KICKR Bike.

Here is an example of one of the SQLab saddles. Iā€™m using a mix of the 611 and 612 depending on the bike. Their free fit kit makes it easy to measure your sit bone width.

2 Likes
  • They are not compatible in any way.

If you want more motion, Iā€™d suggest starting with compressible foam mats. Stuff like the fatigue mats for standing use on concrete floors. Those or even some of the stiff versions of those small pads for kneeling in garden work and such. You can cut up those into blocks to place under the 3 feet and center section to make it move a bit more than sitting on a hard floor.

Thatā€™s simple to find and test to see if it helps. Weā€™ve seen people place these smart bikes on the large rocker plates with success too, for those that want to really add motion to these very rigid bikes.

1 Like

Depending on how much actual flex/motion this gives, I can see how it would be better than a typical rigid saddle.

Kickr Bike 2 fixed the erg mode ramp up issue

Great idea. I feel the foam might be better than the fatigue mat. They are usually really stiff I think.

1 Like

Hi Bike owners! About to purchase a KICKR bike v1 on the current promotion. Do you all have recommendations about the warranty? Is it worth purchasing the extended warranty coverage?

Always get extra warranty on things this expensiveā€¦ is at least my personal opinion :slight_smile:

Finally got mine home today from the sale at the LBS. Since stuff is more expensive in Sweden in general with taxes etc, I paid 2700 euros for it on Black Friday deal, compared to about 4300 euros for the new model.

Since Iā€™ve read about all the issues already, I went with carbon paste and all that stuff straight away on the saddle and seat post.

And since I also rub my thighs on the top tube, solution was to put a longer seat post in there, and keep the bike at the lowest setting!

7 Likes

Did you get an extended warranty?

I do too! But at this point the warranty is ~20% of the item itself lol

We donā€™t have that here in Sweden, since we have a law that pretty much gives the buyer 3 years of warranty on everything.

So even if its says 1 year warranty officially, you can always claim 3 years at the store :smiley:

Oh yeah shit, if its 20% then noā€¦ :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

20% of current sale price, or full retail?

Keep in mind that the future replacement cost will be $4k USD as the baseline (since the V1 will be gone soon) so that might be important to consider.

I might be reading this wrong but the 2 year extended warranty is 479 for the KICKR which costs 1999. So ~24% of SALE price, not retail.

Iā€™ve seen some issues with bikes which makes me think itā€™s better to have the protection, especially as V1 bikes will go out of production. But then again also people are saying Wahoo customer service has been excellent, so maybe not necessary. Thatā€™s the dilemma I was thinking through

1 Like

I think that that is one of the reasons the European prices are generally higher then the US prices. Because of the included consumer warranty law periods.

I also just pulled the trigger on the V1 version from the official EU Wahoo site for ā‚¬2.499.

Maybe its an underlying cost figure that is taking into account when setting the EU pricing, but here in Sweden we have 25% sales tax on these things, so that adds a lot as well automatically :slight_smile:

Yeah, same here in the Netherlands. 21% also included in that price. And free shipping, so that is nice.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure extended warranties help out a few that have an issue that is not covered and Iā€™m sure those folks will preach the virtues of an extended warranty. However, Iā€™m pretty sure the math proves extended warranties are not a good investment. They exist to generate profit, not for the benefit of the consumer. Particularly when there is good customer service, even out of warranty. Iā€™d expect Wahoo would provide some option other than just say sorry, buy new.

1 Like